Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Island Party

Over the weekend we went to Bill's company summer Island Party. We missed it last year because Carter had just been born days earlier and I was not about to take a newborn out on a lake full of catfish. But this year, we were set! And excited!

It was a potluck party and Bill tried to convince me not to bring anything. Why, I don't know. But, I'm not down for showing up to a pot luck empty handed. It must be the Betty Crocker stay-at-home mom inside me who has attended more pot lucks since becoming a mom than I'd ever imagined. I insisted I'd bring something, even if it was homemade chocolate chip cookies. And that's exactly what I did.

The lake (pond?) is less than 5 minutes away from our house and I'd never heard about it before, let alone seen it in the four years we've lived here. It's pretty secluded, although it is right next to the freeway. Crazy!

Anyway, we all loaded up on the boat to get to the island where the party was. It was a fun ride and Logan was thrilled, pointing out waterfalls and random wildlife. We got to the dock that was designed to look like a hut with a grass roof and all. Logan and the son of one of Bill's co-workers hit it off and hand-in-hand ran off to go feed the catfish. There was a huge tub of food right by the dock and they fed these humongous fish by the scoopful. They jumped out of the water and a feeding frenzy broke out, splashing lake water on everyone. Gross, but the kids had a great time.

There was a small sandy beach for volley ball, a nice dock with lots of patio furniture to lounge in and a private beach with paddle boats and canoes. I took Logan out on the canoe while Bill stayed on land with Carter. We had a great time out there paddling around and watching people jump off the big lake trampolines, and it was a pretty good workout! It also made me want to get a canoe for next summer.

For the rest of the afternoon, I hung out talking with Bill's office mates while he supervised Logan and his friend playing in the lake. We had a really great time (even if some people said some stupid things that made me bite my tongue). We're looking forward to next years picnic and we are SO LUCKY that Bill works for such a great company.

No comments: