Friday, August 03, 2007

Strike two
This morning we had another consultation with a different attorney. It did not go well. Well, it didn't go anywhere. I was referred to this attorney by another attorney. Apparently, this guy didn't practice the particular type of law we need (business & employment) & on top of that, he didn't work on a contingency basis or have sliding scale fees & wanted a good chunk of money for the consultation. When money is being wrongfully taken from us & we're barely scrapping by, how are we supposed to just come up with retainer fees & throw cash around for consultations?

This meeting was a big waste of time & even more so because he couldn't refer us to anyone else. We thanked him for his time, gathered our notebook & manila folder of evidence & walked out the door. Again, choked up & teary, I tried to keep it together as we walked down the sidewalk to the car. "It's OK. I'll take care of it", Bill reassured me.

While we were driving home, Bill was talking about not hiring an attorney & taking care of this in small claims court. "Are you serious?", I gasped. "I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm doing here. We can't do that. We have no expertise in this. We're not taking any short cuts". I breathed some more & tried not to cry more than I already was. We drove without further conversation, listening to a CD Bill burned a few days ago.

I sat there listening to Pato Banton & staring out the passenger window. I started to silently cry as the lyrics spoke directly to me:

Situation in the world is crazy.
We got to stay positive.

Stay positive, stay positive, stay positive.
Stay positive, stay positive, stay positive.
Live the life you love, love the life you live
and no matter what the crisis is.
Stay positive, stay positive, stay positive.

Every time me take a little look on the T. V.
seems like the whole world gone crazy.
War, famine and poverty
people are dying continually.
So many people are getting confused
so many reasons to get in the blues.
But with a little faith in the most high's plan
it gives me strength to sing this song.

Positive! Ooh yes we have to stay positive.
Positive! No matter what the crisis is.
Positive! Even when things gone wrong.
Positive! This is the time when you got to be strong.
Positive! Black, white, pink or brown.
Positive! Live in the city or you live in the town.
Positive! Ooh yes we have to stay positive.
Positive! No matter what the crisis is.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
and no matter what the crisis is.
When there's life to live, and there's love to give
why should you be negative?
You got to stay positive!


I kid you not. While my views on organized religion are jaded from my experiences, I never denied my spirituality & that there is a higher power. This was one of those times where I was being spoken to & it rang clear as a bell. Everything is going to be alright & I just have to hang in there.

Later in the afternoon, Bill called me from work. He called around & found another firm that sounds like it will work out. They specialize in the type of representation we need & they'll work with us on a contingency basis. We should hear back from them on Monday to schedule a consultation. In the meantime, I'm going to try my best to stay positive.

2 comments:

Jake Silver said...

Good luck with the ongoing case...

Liz said...

good luck with everything!

and hang in there, kristin!