Monday, October 01, 2007

20 months old
2o months, huh? Why does it feel like 20 years already? This has been one busy month for Logan with lots of transitions. There's never a dull moment around here, that's for sure!

This last month we transitioned to the toddler bed earlier than anticipated. This has been challenging. Very challenging. The first few bedtimes & nap times were the most difficult. I've had to "toddler proof" his bedroom-which is more extreme than baby proofing-by practically stripping his room of everything that wasn't bolted down. Bedtime is easier because he's just exhausted. Nap time however, is an hour to two hour battle. I've often stood at his bedroom door & every time I heard him get up, the door would swing open & I would ambush him with "get back in your bed now!" At least he's great in the mornings, occupying himself & letting me sleep in. He's so quiet when he wakes up & just does whatever he does in there. I think he hangs out for at least an hour if not two.
During one of the nap time battles, he fell asleep in the rocking chair

Meal time is the same old story. Picky, picky, picky. At the recommendation of the nurse in his last check-up, we've been giving him Carnation Instant Breakfast (the sugar free kind) as a pre-breakfast, because most of his food still ends up on the floor. He is addicted to is "special milk" & if I give him a cup of regular milk, he freaks out. The minute he wakes up & I'm changing his diaper, he's signing "Drink milk". He must have "special milk" dreams.

He's getting better about food on the floor (sometimes) & he's getting pretty good at using his utensils. Other than "special milk", his next food obsession is raisins. Good Lord. Raisins. We discovered how much he loves his raisins or "sins" as he calls them while at the photo shoot yesterday. I've begun buying bags & bags of the little snack boxes & if I don't have at least three on me at all times, we're in for a bumpy ride. He could have a worse food habit, though.

He still loves to watch his morning cartoons & his favorites are SpongeBob SquarePants, or "Bob Bob" as he says & Yo Gabba Gabba. He dances around to the songs, claps his hands & just laughs with excitement when he hears the theme song. It's pretty funny.
Watching cartoons with Kitty

He is still teething & is finally getting his cuspids (or eye/canine teeth). His top left broke through the other day & now were just waiting for the other three to pop up. It seems that it will be well after his 2nd birthday when his molars come up.

His speech development is coming along & he's trying to vocalize more than sign (sometimes). When I change his diaper, he likes to name the article of clothing he's wearing. Even though no one else has a clue as to what he's trying to say, I understand him. However, he's still super frustrated about the lack of communication & understanding, thus leading into massive tantrums.

And tantrums. Oh, the tantrums. They are never ending & anything can bring on the worst of the worst. This is my least favorite part of motherhood & I often find myself second guessing my consideration on having another baby. If I have two kids acting like this at the same time, I know without a doubt, I could not handle it at all. I'm almost over the edge now with the constant fussing & screaming. One mom in The Club has even attempted to step in & "resolve the situation" leaving me dumbfounded on the sidelines. Like she's really going to be able to do anything. Anyway, these tantrums just make me feel helpless & like a total failure. There is nothing I can do to prevent or stop them from happening. And really, Logan ignores everything I say or ask him (or tell him) to do. It's like I'm talking to a deaf child. Seriously, his "selective hearing" is that bad. It makes me not want to talk to him at all. It's pointless.

On the cute side of things, he's learned to play the recorder. He walks around the house toot-tooting away. He even plays songs for the animals. This makes us both laugh hysterically. He loves his matchbox cars & action figures, taking them with him where ever he goes. He's coordinated enough to climb up the playground equipment & go down the slides (even the big twisty ones!) by himself. He also learned how to do crunches ("tunch"), much to my disbelief. I was changing his diaper (why does everything happen during a diaper change?) & he put his hands behind his head & started doing crunches. I screamed, "AH! YOU'RE DOING CRUNCHES! LOOK AT YOU!!!" He loves to do them all the time now & is well on his way to six pack abs.

He is also very loving, giving us hugs & kisses (sort of) & this month he started giving his little friends hugs. When any of his friends would come to give him a hug, he would shirk back not wanting to have any part of it. Now he is always wrapping his arms around them giving them the cutest little toddler hugs. It's freakin' adorable.
Picking up rocks with one of his friends

It's been one crazy month & I'm sure there will be more craziness to look forward to. Like I said, there's never a dull moment over here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Look at him! He's such a gorgeous little guy :D

I *love* that pic of him sleeping in the chair, it's unbelievably precious. You are SOOOOOOOOO lucky that he sleeps anywhere! Kira absolutely refuses to sleep anywhere other than her bed or the carseat. *cry*

Wendy said...

Happy 20 Months:) Lani is still picky as can be also! I tried the carnation and she tossed that cup!! I feel your pain...

the boyd girls.... said...

He is so cute! He looks just like his Daddy!:)
Hope you are doing good, with 2 babies its hard to keep up with everyones blog these days!