Tuesday, October 14, 2008

4 weeks old

Carter is a month old now. Wow. I felt like I blinked & missed the entire month. I know time flies when you have kids, but this is just ridiculous. The newborn days seem to pass by much quicker than the toddler years & with us & our busy life, I feel like I only got a taste of Carter's first days.

He still is not a great sleeper, but he's getting better. He is finally sleeping in his bassinet for most of the night. Just like with Logan, he comes to sleep in bed with us in the early morning hours (5-6am) if he has a hard time getting back to sleep. The only reason he has a difficult time relaxing is if he is gassy or needs to poop. Then he's up grunting for a while. Which seems to be the case often. Last week, I noticed that he's starting to get on a regular sleep schedule - of sorts. He wakes up for the day around 8ish, morning nap around 10:00, sleeps for most of the afternoon & bed time around 8:00. Bed time is still the most difficult part of our day with him as he fights it tooth & nail. It takes him at least an hour or so to finally get into a deep sleep.

Carter is an awesome nurser. He has been eating more often - every 2 hours for a while. Some days I can get him to eat every 3 hours, but not always. He went through a growth spurt last week & gained a bit of weight. How much? I couldn't say, but he's filled out & is outgrowing all of his newborn clothes already. I still have a fast letdown, but he's been able to keep up with it. We've only had one day with a projectile vomit, compared to Logan who puked every time. I'm beginning to wonder if Carter is going to be bigger than Logan. Time will only tell!

This boy is one noisy kid. He grunts & grunts & grunts - much more than crying. He only really cries if I wait too long to get him what he needs. He's been starting to coo & make other very cute baby noises, which just melts my heart every time I hear them. He's also very alert & checking things out for longer periods of time. It's fun to watch him discover his world so early.

The best part of this last week - he's starting to really smile. I can see his eyes light up when I come to pick him up or a few times when he was in his bouncer while I got out of the shower, he seemed very happy to see me. At night when all he wants is to be held, I prop him sitting up in my lap facing me & we watch each other. He tries his best to smile & I can tell he's really working on it. I love seeing some big adorable grins.

It's a little freaky to see how much Logan & Carter look alike. It's becoming more apparent as Carter gets older. Not that this is a bad thing, because Logan is seriously cute, but it's kind a funny. Some of these pictures could easily be confused for Logan. I can still see a little of me in him though. The poor kid has my nose.

So, as much as I want to get more sleep, get all of my body back & have a little more freedom - I'm sad to see these days pass by so soon. Carter is my last baby & I want to soak up all of this little newborn sweetness as much as I can.

6 comments:

Erin said...

He's absolutely ADORABLE!! LOVE those smiles!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

He is so gorgeous! You guys sure do make gorgeous babies. (and those smiles..oh my gosh!!)

angie said...

When I first logged on and saw the 1st pic you posted I said outloud: "whoa! he looks like Logan." What a cutie..

Anonymous said...

He is so adorable...

workout mommy said...

omigosh, he is ADORABLE!!!! This picture is giving me baby fever!!

Eriness said...

He is absolutely beautiful!