Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Brave or stupid, I'm not quite sure
This morning the zoo had a free day & a few of the playgroup moms & I decided that we were going to haul all of our kids to go & enjoy the weather & animals. Logan was especially excited about it & on the hour & some odd minutes drive down there, he talked non-stop about seeing elephants, monkeys & dolphins (even though I told him we wouldn't be seeing any dolphins). It was pretty cute to see him this excited. He even got worried when I made a pit stop to Starbucks to grab a morning coffee, noticing that we weren't at the zoo & got huge puppy dog eyes "I wanna go to the zoo", with tears almost forming in the corners. I assured him that we were going & he had to be on his best behavior.

When we got there the parking lot was completely full since every school, daycare, special needs home, nursing home, Asian tour bus & pretty much everyone in the State of Colorado were there, too. We had to park at the museum & walk a few blocks to the zoo. It was a mad house. When I saw how many people were there on a Tuesday morning, my first thought was maybe we shouldn't have come because Logan could easily get lost if he ran off. I looked him straight in the eye & as seriously as I could, I told him that it was especially important that he listen to me today because there were so many people there & I didn't want him to get lost or hurt. "OK, Mommy", he said with a smile.

We met our friends there & with Carter snug in the wrap, Logan followed all of the rules & listened to me all day. He had the choice to ride in the stroller or walk & hold my hand. He did a little of both, but never ran off & I never had to raise my voice or chase after him. He was on the best behavior I've ever seen from him. Actually, he was a perfect kid. He was thrilled to see all of the animals & had such a good time. He shared snacks with his friends & let them take turns riding in his stroller (because it has a steering wheel & all of the kids think his stroller is the coolest thing ever). I think this day was pretty special because we could enjoy it together without stress or frustration. It was great!!

At about 2:00pm all of our friends decided to head on home so their kids could nap on the way back. Logan was being so good I decided that we could stay all day until we had to drive back home to pick up Bill from work. It was easy to nurse Carter on the go & Logan was a super trooper. So, we said our good-byes to our friends & spent another two hours hanging out on our own. Walking with Logan hand in hand & Carter still cuddled up in the wrap, I was so impressed with our day & how happy we all were. It was a shame that Bill had to work & didn't get to share this rarity with us. In fact, the last time we were at the zoo earlier this summer, it was hot, I was pregnant & tired & Logan threw a lot of fits. It was fun, but there were still some stressful, unpleasant moments. Not like today. Today was a freakin' miracle of a day & I felt not only happy but pretty brave that we were able to go on this adventure on our own.

When it was time to go home, Logan was very cooperative & excited to tell Daddy about all of the animals that he saw. Because I had my hands full I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, which I'm really sad about since this was one day I wanted to remember forever since it was so awesome.


Casey, Tracey, and Kids said...

Those days are rare around here as well but, I love it when we have a scream/fit free day and everything goes smoothly!

momto1 said...

What a great memory! It sounds like it was fantastic!