Friday, April 20, 2007

Sometimes you just need some sleep
Recently, I've been having a hard time getting to sleep at night. Bill will go to bed around 10-11:00 pm, while I'll stay up until 1-2 am. Historically, it's been the other way around. For some reason, the roles have switched & now I'm the one staying up late.

I try to go to bed around 1 am, but then usually end up flipping around like a fish for an hour to an hour & a half. This is where I'm exceptionally thankful that Logan is a great sleeper & sleeps in until 8am. It's become a vicious cycle of going to bed late & needing a enormous cup of coffee (close to a pot) the next morning. Bill has tried to convince me to take a sleeping pill, but I won't for fear that if Logan wakes up (which he doesn't), I won't hear him.

Yesterday was Bill's split shift. He came home from work for a 4 hour lunch. We went grocery shopping (one of our favorite weekly chores) & came home. I was so tired, I took a nap. A 2 hour nap. First, I never take naps. I never could heed the "sleep when the baby sleeps" advice. There were times I would go lay down to only get up 15 minutes later, proclaiming that "I just can't take a nap". This was clearly not the case yesterday & fortunately, Logan was just as tired as I was & slept for the whole 2 hours as well.

Not only did I take a 2 hour nap, but after dinner (a very delicious grilled lamb chop that Bill cooked up) I promptly fell asleep on the couch while watching TV. For another 2 hours. We went to bed & I slept another 8 hours.

This morning I feel like a million bucks. Totally rested & ready to tackle the day. Sometimes you just need some sleep (& maybe just a little coffee).


***There's a great cyber-client update on The Other Blog. Yesterday, Wendy ran a 5k with an amazing finishing time! Go check it out & give her congrats on a race well ran!***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm like you with the napping thing. I couldn't nap when Kira was a newborn during the times she slept; I couldn't even nap while pregnant.

Hope the sleeping thing improves for you soon!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I haven't slept well since D was born either. So glad you got some crash-time. I slept about 12 hours Saturday night and it was every bit as good as advertised.