Monday, January 12, 2009

Variety is the spice of life

During my pregnancy with Carter and the months after his birth, I wasn't too concerned about the nutritional habits of our family. If we ate, great. As long as nobody went starving, that's all that I cared about. Not too long ago, I realized that Logan has been eating the same thing every single day for almost a year now: a cereal bar, milk and banana for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly or a cheese quesadilla with fruit for lunch and homemade mac n' cheese with vegetables for dinner. This consistent pattern happened because they were easy meals, relatively healthy and he asked for them every single day. I never put up a fight for him to eat something else because I really didn't have it in me.

Until now.

While Carter isn't sleeping through the night yet and I'm not getting anymore rest that before, I have somehow gained my cooking mojo back. It helps that Bill seems more open to having actual meals again rather than the "fend for yourself" dinners we've been accustomed to as of late. PB & J and Mac n' Cheese have been banned and we're going to sit down to eat dinner as a family again.

This afternoon Logan had a cheesy vegetable sandwich (cream cheese, cheddar cheese, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, red leaf lettuce on whole wheat bread) and grapes. Tonight for dinner we're having salmon with basil butter and lemon and some other vegetable (probably squash). We have a few meals planned for the week and I'm going to start bookmarking my favorite recipes again. It's time to add a little more spice to our meals here!

No comments: