Sunday, April 06, 2008

Where did the weekend go?
I seemed to have blinked & missed it. I sure was busy with "stuff", some of it good, some of it not so good. I guess "stuff" makes the days fly by.

First, I'll start with the not so good stuff. Over the end of the week, I noticed a couple of bugs on the back of Logan's hairline. They were there on different days & each day it was only one bug at a time. So when I saw the first bug, I just picked it off thinking it probably settled on him after playing outside. Then the next day I saw the other. Again, I picked it off but this time holding it on my finger for some kind of identification examination. It looked like a flea.

I totally didn't (refused?) to believe it & as Logan napped, I did some flea research. I checked the pets & they both came back clear. Neither one of them had been scratching at all. And this isn't our first go around with fleas, either. Back when we lived in Oregon, both of the dogs had a pretty bad case as they were "outside" dogs for a period of time. It was easily remedied & we didn't have to worry about the house since it was all hardwood floors. So I know what I'm looking for. But this time, I didn't want to think about dealing with fleas in a carpeted house. The more pictures of fleas that popped up on my screen, the more convinced I became. I emailed Bill letting him know that I think we have fleas.

Over the next day, I developed my plan of attack on the little suckers. Since our pets were in the clear, they had to be coming from somewhere. In my flea research, I read that fleas can lay dormant in carpet for a very long time. As in months. We've only been in this house for a short period of time, so I was totally convinced that they were in the carpet before we moved here.

But then.

I was sitting on the couch with Logan waiting for Bill to get home from work. I saw a bug on Logan's collar again & picked it off. Another jumped on me. And then another. As we were sitting on the couch I saw three or four fleas jumping on or around us. I turned to look behind me. They're coming from the curtains!!!!! As soon as Bill came home, the curtains (that came with the house ) came down to be immediately thrown out & I washed every single blanket in the house. I changed the filter in our vacuum cleaner & will go over every last inch of the house on "power suction". And wouldn't you know it. Now that the curtains are down & in the trash, we haven't seen a single flea & nobody has been itchy with bites (Logan was practically eaten alive). It was an easy victory, but still completely gross.

Now for the good stuff! The weather is starting to stay nice & warm, reminding people that summer - swim suits, shorts & tank tops are just around the corner. This is music to a personal trainers ears. I missed the first fitness season rush over New Years because I was taking a holiday break & subconsciously preparing for 3 months of illness, so it's awesome to be feeling more like myself & being able to jump on the pre-summer rush.

So far, so good! I've had 3 people sign up for my online training program in about a week & two people are thinking about bartering. I'm trying to trade out for someone to clean my house once a week & another to trade out child care at a drop-in center here in town. Whether or not the trades will actually follow through, that's a different story. But at least I have some more long-term training clients jump on board.

Between exterminating fleas & developing nutrition plans & workout programs, I've been too busy to realize that it's late Sunday night. Tomorrow starts another week of adventures...

No comments: