Tuesday, December 27, 2005


Here I am 8 months pregnant with Logan.
Bill & I worked on making the birth announcements last night. Bill used to study graphic arts & knows photoshop pretty well, so it's not going to be difficult for him at all. They're looking pretty good so far!

While he was getting some measurements figured out & working with colors, I picked up a book of poems from the book shelf. I haven't read this book since I was a kid. My Grandma Nancy had given it to me sometime ago. I've been thinking about her a lot since I've been pregnant. She passed away from a long battle of colon cancer when I was 16. It was really hard when she left, she was the best grandma anyone could ask for. She practically raised my sisters & me. She was the best part of our chaotic childhood. We used to do so many fun things like feeding ducks at the park, going to movies & sneaking candy in, making some kind of art project in her kitchen, reading stories & singing songs at the piano. I really miss her a lot.

One of my most treasured Grandma Nancy moments is when we would sleep over & she would tuck us in. She would always say "Sweet dreams, chocolate creams & roses on your pillow". Reading poems last night made me think of that & how I would be tucking Logan in soon. Here is a lullaby that I came across that made me think of Logan sleeping in his new boyscout room.


Lullaby
Robert Hillyer

The long canoe
Toward the shadowy shore,
One...two..
Three...four...
The paddle dips,
Turns in the wake,
Pauses, then
Forward again,
Water drips
From the blade to the lake.
Nothing but that,
No sound of wings;
The owl and bat
Are velvet things.
No wind awakes,
No fishes leap,
No rabbits creep
Among the brakes.

The long canoe
At the shadowy shore,
One...two...
Three...four...
A murmur now
Under the prow
Where rushes bow
To let us through.
One...two...
Upon the shore,
Three...four...
Upon the lake,
No one's awake,
No one's awake,
One...
Two...
No one,
Not even
You.

1 comment:

liz said...

Krisin--I'm just reading your archives and let me tell you: at 8 months preggers--you look amazing!
I think I had that same bump when I was about 4 minutes pregnant!
It's so interesting to go back and read your Before Logan posts, to compare your fears then with your realities now.