Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One rough night
Yesterday was a very, very stressful day. Remember when I mentioned that Bill was in the running for The Biggest Jerk of a Husband award? We'll he's officially won that title & the stress from it sent me into preterm labor. I got to hang out in labor & delivery for a few hours late in the evening.

I found out about more of Bill's shenanigans around 3 or 4pm, which was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I'll probably go into more detail about all of this either later in the week or sometime next week - but for now - let's just say it's stressful. I kept my cool, no crying, no yelling or screaming - maybe some hyperventilating, but that was it. I went on with my day taking Logan to the grocery store about an hour later.

While at the store, I had been getting the crazy braxton hicks contractions again. I always get them at the store (or when I'm doing anything physical) so I didn't think too much of it. It was when we got home that I started to worry. I noticed them becoming more frequent & more intense. I kept a close eye on them for a couple more hours while drinking water & laying on my left side. By the time Logan was in bed, I started recording the count. It was more than 6 contractions in an hour. I called my OB.

The on-call nurse had me try again, on my left side drinking 10-12 ounces of water every 10 minutes. If I continued to get more than 6 contractions in an hour, then I had to call back & the nurse would let labor & delivery know I was on my way. Here's what went down in that hour:

9:30 - 12 ounces of water
9:37 - contraction
9:40 - 12 ounces of water
9:42 - contraction
9:43 - small, light kick
9:44 - larger, stronger kicks (thank God)
9:48 - contraction
9:50 - 12 ounces of water
9:53 - small light kicks
9:55 - hiccups, more kicks
9:57 - contraction
9:59 - contraction
10:00 - 12 ounces of water
10:02 - contraction
10:05 - very small movement
10:10 - contraction

At this point, I called the on-call nurse because I had 7 contraction in 30 minutes. She called labor & delivery to let them know I was coming, we woke Logan up & took him over to photographer friends house & were on our way. I wanted to drive myself since Bill was the whole reason for this situation, but he wouldn't let me (I still think he should have stayed home with Logan, especially since he was telling me I was fine & that I didn't need to go - dumb ass).

I got to the ER (the after hours entrance) & they wheeled me into labor & delivery. I got hooked up to all of the monitors to see how Carter was doing. The good news was that his heart rate was strong & that he was doing OK. That was my biggest concern, because I know that so many contractions can be stressful on the baby. But, I was contracting too often & too intense. I was indeed in preterm labor. And of course, I'm sobbing pretty much the whole time we're there.

The on call Doctor came in & ordered a test (kind of like a papsmear, but I forget what it was called) & then checked my cervix. It was still closed & high - so that was good. While we waited for the test results, he ordered a shot of terbutaline & started an IV. If the terbutaline didn't slow things down, they were going to add magnesium to the solution.

A side effect to the shot is increased heart rate & jitters. We'll for me, it was more like lower body convulsions. I was shaking just like when I was in labor with Logan. It started to make me sick & thankfully, I had some emergency zofran in the car (I wasn't about to pay the hospital for the name brand version). We hung out in the hospital for a while, watching something about buffalo in Yellowstone park while we waited for the contractions to slow down. The nurses would come in & out & check on the contractions. One of them said that I had a pretty irritable uterus.
Even though I was still getting some strong contractions, the test came back OK, meaning that I wasn't going to have the baby anytime too soon. The medication had slowed things down to a controllable level & then they gave me Ambien for the ride home so I could get some much needed rest that night.

First, let me say that I never take any sleeping pills other than occasionally Unisom because the thought of it just weirds me out. Well, my opinion hasn't changed since the Ambien experience last night. It was just strange & I'm sure I could have pretty much passed out on the floor while walking through the door. But, boy! Did I get a good night's sleep!

So, this morning I feel like I've been run over by a truck. I'm so tired & I don't have anything in me. Logan missed school this morning & we've just been hanging out out home. I have a client coming over to train, but I'm not canceling because she's the house cleaner too. I desperately need her help right now. Especially since I'm taking care of Logan all day & Bill is coming home late because of disc golf leagues (yeah, another notch towards Biggest Jerk of a Husband OF THE YEAR).


girl from florida said...

Ugh, you poor thing!!! H has definitely been putting in his candidacy for that award this year as well. UGH.

I am glad you're doing OK and please keep us updated. Better take another belly shot just in case :)


Jezer said...

I'm so sorry things are so stressful for you. You deserve some rest and relaxation and some "you" time.

erica said...

Careful on claiming the hubby award so fast, I could end up giving you a run for your money on it. :| (sigh)

Dawn B said...

Yeah, I think that officially takes the cake as the crappiest day ever.
But, no early baby and that's good news. Thank goodness everything is okay.
And it looks like the award, this year, will be passed from husband to husband. lol

Joanna said...

I am sorry about all the stress. I am glad that everythings ok!

Jen said...

Call me if you wanna chat.

momto1 said...

So sorry you had a rough night. I am glad to hear that Carter is doing fine. What is it with men? I hope you can get some rest tonight.

Alicia Seevers said...

After a situation like that and he's still going to disc golf tonight...he's an ass!

Hang in there and focus on Logan and Carter and try to relax. See if any of your friends can come over and help you! I feel for you!

Erin said...

I can completely sympathize with what you're going through and I am so so sorry that you're having to go through it. I'm glad they were able to get it stopped and everything turned out ok.

My husband left and played golf all day while I was in labor at home by myself when I was pregnant with Hailey. When I called to tell him he needed to come home so we could go to the hospital he asked me to put a pizza in the oven for him. What is it with men?? Seriously!

Kristin said...

Thanks for all of the well wishes - Logan & I have been trying to lay low, although he's been begging me to go to playgroup & school. So we do just those right now.

And seriously, if everyone's husbands are being just as big of a jerk as Bill, I will personally make a trophy that we can pass around after the obligatory post about their thoughtlessness.

Jaime said...

Oh no~! I hope the stress eases soon, I'll be thinking about you!

Dear hubby needs a kick in the balls, maybe after the baby is born you can ambush him while he sleeps. LOL

stella said...

I found this site called http://URAjerk.com maybe you can use it. It seems to help get me through the issues of dealing with some of the jerks I know. At least I can vent about these jerks, plus I get a kick out of sending them some cards.