Monday, July 21, 2008

What we did on the hottest day of the year
This weekend flew by fast & it was because we were busy having fun. On Saturday morning, we decided that it was time for us to make a trip down to Denver to go to the zoo. We hadn't been since Logan was 3 months old & we lived closer. It was about time we make the short road trip.

We don't go down to Denver often because both Bill & I hate it. Of all of the places we've lived across the western US (Salt Lake, Grand Forks, Vegas, Portland, Denver & now our small town), Denver is our least favorite. We've lived in our small town for almost two years now & this was the first time we had been down there since the move.

Logan was great on the car ride down, talking about all of the things he saw out of the window - my favorite being "cars go 'round & 'round" because he sounds so cute when he says it. We got to the zoo & he was really excited, especially to see monkeys. We brought the stroller along with even though we knew Logan wouldn't want to ride, but rather run around like a wild animal himself - which he did. But he was still under control & more or less, well behaved.

It was the hottest day of the year & we were still out there walking around, including my almost 8 month pregnant self. Near the end of the morning, Logan was starting to slow down quite a bit, trailing behind & looking exhausted. Though, he refused to ride in the stroller to take a break. We had to force him to sit down to rest & take a ride for fear of him getting heat exhaustion or getting dehydrated.

He loved seeing the big turtles, the bird exhibit that we walked through, petting the goats with Bill & of course, the monkeys. Even though it was hot, we had a good time. I did feel pretty bad when we left though because Logan had been asking to go on the train ride & I told him that if he was really, really good, then it would be his special treat. We'll he was pretty good, good enough that it warranted a train ride, but he was in the stroller & if we got him out there was no getting him back in for the walk back to the car. We didn't mention the train & as we were leaving the zoo, he remembered & started asking about it. I had to tell him it was broken & we would ride the train at the park by our house later (I felt so bad about this). He was even good enough to accept this answer & not throw a massive tantrum about it.
So, after the long car ride home (& a stop to Bill's favorite fast food place - which he was more excited about than the zoo) we came back & crashed. Well, except for Logan. He was still going strong for the rest of the day. He played in his room for a couple of hours while I took some down time to rest & Bill napped & he was still pretty good - just playing & singing loudly.

I'm really glad he had a good time & that he was such a good kiddo.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I wished that the zoo here was bigger then what it is. We drive 4 hours to go to a zoo worth seeing! Ours is just that pathetic!

I tell Kelsie things are broken all the time, if at the moment I know there will be some soft of hassle to follow. Riding in a stroller being one of the biggest! So, your not alone there! : )