Wednesday, February 25, 2009

WE SAVED IT!

The week of constantly nursing on the hour, holding off on my workout, eating like a horse (losing 2 pounds in the process) and all of the HARD WORK it took to increase my milk supply - WE DID IT! I am so relieved! Carter is back on track and we don't have to supplement.

We went in for his follow-up weight check and I had held off his last nursing session so he would be hungry enough to eat (not like he hasn't turned down a meal or snack anyway). His pre-nursing weight was 12.14 pounds, gaining 5.5 ounces in the last week (yea!). After nursing, he weighed in at 13.2 pounds, gaining 3.5 ounces.

The average 5 month old needs to gain 4-5 ounces in a week and needs about 2.4 - 3.7 ounces per nursing session (eating an average or 8 times a day).

WE SAVED THE SUPPLY!!! Now we move from hourly nursing to on-demand. We won't need to go in to see the Doctor again until Carter's 6 month check up (which is in a few weeks anyway). Last time I left the office holding back tears, deeply saddened by the possibility of having to stop nursing. This time I left the office with tears in my eyes from absolute relief. Relief that Carter isn't starving, he's back on track and growing fine and that all of that hard work wasn't all for naught. YEA!!!!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Yay, I am so excited for ya'll!

Anonymous said...

Super congrats! Nursing is such a rewarding and positive experience for Moms and the babies. I am glad you were able to save it!

Elisabeth said...

That is very exciting! Glad it is working out! It is so much harder than it sounds...."nursing" sounds so...relaxing! It isn't always though!