Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The moving story part 2
Comcast was able to get us hooked up to the internet this afternoon. YEAH! I swear, if I play another game of solitaire, I'll go cross-eyed crazy.

So, on with the rest of the story. When I left off, we found another place to live & needed to settle things with the guy of the other house. He first was ok with everything & then we called the new house to sign another lease & another check. This was in the afternoon around 3:00pm. We were going to meet up at 7:00 pm to get the new house. Then the guy from the other house called saying that he needed to talk to his attorney, he was willing to re-tile the entire bathroom & put in new carpet in the basement (someone had let a cat in after we had done a walk through). This is why we could be held liable for a lawsuit.

Now we were stuck. The guy couldn't talk to his attorney until Monday morning. This was Sunday afternoon. Bill started work the next day & Bill's mom was staying at his sisters one bedroom, one bathroom house & there wasn't any room for us there. All of the hotels were booked up that weekend. We didn't have a place to set up a crib for Logan & no where for us to sleep. I was frantic & massively upset. We were literally homeless.

I was changing Logan's diaper on the couch & as I finished, I put everything back in his diaper bag. In this process he toppled over from sitting to his stomach. Bill's mom let out a gasp & jumped up from the chair. I snapped. "Relax! I've got him. I'm not going to let him fall off of the couch, especially when I'm sitting right next to him". She got up to go into the other room to cry. I just sat there steaming.

Bill went in & got his mom out saying that we needed to talk. He was going to take Logan for a walk. I've never wanted to tell her straight up about how I felt because my tone wouldn't be easy to control. But I told her. I told her that she needed to back off & let me be a mom. I'm not going to live in a place that would be dangerous for him, I'm not going to let him fall into a wood burning stove. I'm not going to let him fall off of a couch. I told her how it was belittling for her to take Logan out of my arms when he got fussy. It made me fell like she was stepping in because I wasn't capable of calming him down. This whole conversation was me standing up for myself, without crying & without screaming. I apologized for snapping at her, but explained that I was under some extreme stress. I sounded frustrated, but I made sure to say everything matter of factly. She cried & threw her arms up in the air saying that she wasn't going to say anything ever again (I hope that is a promise).

So after that whole conversation, Bill & I went to the house to take pictures of the mold. Really, I wanted to get another look to see if it was as bad as everyone was making it out to be. As we were leaving Bill's mom said that we wouldn't be able to take pictures because the mold was behind the wall. How we were supposed to prove this if we had to go to court was beyond me.

Now it was 7:00 pm & we went to the new house to go over paper work. Nothing was resolved from the other house but after another phone call, the guy said he wasn't going to be a jerk about it. We weren't able to sign the new lease until the next day, but we went through the house. We're renting from the cleaning nazi. There is a huge list of what to clean when & with what products. There are white glove tests...no joke. It's very controlling. $780 more than expected, another check was signed. Bill asked if it would be possible for us to move in that night because we didn't have anywhere to sleep. She said that it wouldn't be a problem & she & her husband would be over the next day to sign the lease. Bill's sister & brother-in-law helped us move in in less than two hours. They were a huge help.

Now we're all settled in. All I can say is at least we have a roof over our heads. I tell myself everyday that it's just a rental. This isn't our home. We'll find something else next summer, hopefully something we can buy. In the mean time, it could be worse. There are some good aspects about the house. Like the back yard & deck. We have a wood burning fireplace that Bill is really excited about. It will smell great in the winter. I hope to make friends with the family across the street so Logan can have someone to play with. Bill & I met the mom once & I hope I didn't look or sound like an idiot.

Bill's new schedule is awesome. He only works half days & has the weekends off now. He can work more, but only if he wants to. I'm able to get to the gym to do my own workouts. I started spin classes again & I'm soooooo happy about that. Logan does well in the nursery & when Bill is home they have father/son time together. The quality of life is better, that's for sure. This is our kind of town & we'll have so much more time to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're settled. A home is what you make of it.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. Hopefully it made a diference!

Anonymous said...

Glad you told your MIL how you felt.. Good for you!

Now What? said...

First time commenter! I can totally relate about the overbearing mother-in-law, so I admire you for having the courage to tell her how you feel. Here's hoping she backs off from now.