Thursday, August 24, 2006

A pivotol point.
I usually don't write about our marriage on the blog. I feel that some things are better left private & sacred. However, this event deserves a post. As small of an action that it may have been, it made a huge impact.

Our marriage has been challenging for the last year or so. The adjustment to new roles & responsibilities have taken a toll. In the beginning with Bill's old work schedule, I felt like a single parent who was held hostage in a house all day long, all week long. The issues with his mother certainly weren't helping any either. I felt like I wasn't being listened to. I wasn't being understood or supported emotionally. I really felt very alone. I know that he felt unappreciated & the lack of time for just the two of us really bothered him. I know he felt that there were expectations that were difficult to meet.

There has been tension between us. I've called my sisters crying many times. There were times I questioned our relationship & wondered if we should keep going on. I had even gone as far as making plans to move out with Logan if I had to. These were just some of the things that we had been feeling.

We've been working on things, slowly but surely. We really wanted to save our marriage & make it work. Not only because it kills the two of us to think about "sharing" Logan & living in a divided home, but we really want to do it for us. Fortunately there is more love there than resentment & bitterness.

Since our move, things have been better. Bill has been home more & I feel like we're really a family. We're out & about on almost a daily basis. Bill gives Logan a bath every night & stays home to play with him while I get a break & work out a few times a week. This change alone has done wonders.

Not much had changed on the emotional level, until yesterday. I still had ill feelings with how Bill sided with his mom on our housing issue. I stood up for myself & he didn't say anything. I had been feeling like it wasn't a marriage of two, but three.

It came to my attention that "Grandma L" thinks I'm starving Logan. I had a conversation with her the other day where she asked about his liking of solids & if he was gaining weight. "Oh, good", she sighed in relief after I said yes. After much thought, I realized that she has felt that way from day one. From all of her comments about "that's the problem with breast feeding", "when is Logan going to start formula, eating solids" (asked at 4 months old) & telling me that his stomach is constantly growling. She created quite a complex on my end, making myself question my actions as a mother.

I researched & made calls to Logans' pediatrician to make sure I wasn't starving him. Everyone assured me that he was growing just fine. He had plenty of wet diapers. I was reminded that at his 4 month check-up, the Doctor recommended that we stop one middle of the night nursing to help him sleep through the night. If he was starving, this recommendation wouldn't have been made. Logan was & is a healthy, happy little boy.

So needless to say, her comments & reaction pissed me off. Big time. Bill came home from work & asked what we should have for dinner. "I'm not that hungry. Dinner is the last thing on my mind right now", I replied. "Well, what are you thinking about"?

Reluctantly, I told him. "You were a statistic of childhood obesity. She fed you Coke & Snickers after dinner every night. Food is not the solution for every time he cries! She is the last person I would listen to about infant nutrition & I will flat out tell her off", I said. He sat there & listened to me. Not just listening to me, but hearing me out.

He didn't defend her. He said that he would talk to her. He assured me that I was a great mom. He knew it & Logan knows it & that's what matters most. He said that we could even make up lies to shut her up. That made me laugh. He hugged me & I cried on his shoulder as I vented. I felt better. Instantly.

This is what I've needed all along. A hug, some reassurance & someone to back me up. In this 5 minute action I felt a click. A switch. Like a train moving to a different track. Not only did I feel better physically, but emotionally too. It was like the clouds parted & there were warm rays of sunshine. Now I feel like we're on the same page.

So Billy, if you read this...Thank You. You really made me feel so much better, on so many levels. I love you with all of my heart.

7 comments:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

good for you! =)
It sounds like you have an AMAZING husband! I know it may sound cheesy (sorry..lol) but love really can conquer all. Well, love AND understanding. And just know, my husband and I are going through the same things right now (a tough spot) and it's great to hear that the odds can go FOR you, not against you. And yeah, his mom drives me crazy. She is the sweetest woman, but can be very pushy, assertive, and sometimes she even questions our parenting styles. She keeps saying that I feed James too much (which is definitely not true). But I know alot of her fear of that comes from the fact that she has diabetes and it runs in her family. But, either way she can be tough. But, she's not James' mom, I am..LOL So there ya go. lol

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I remember the first time Daddymatic stood up to his mom about me, and how I finally GOT that biblical command to "cleave unto your wife." I felt like saying "Cleave this!!" to my MIL.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that happened. It is SO important to feel like YOU are his #1 priority and his family now- not his mom. I've struggled with some of the same emotions, and we almost broke up over differing opinions (his parents are incredibly fundamentalistic) in the beginning of our relationship, but we worked around it and it's been amazing for our marriage now. His family has very little (if any) input into anything in our lives now, and we are all so happy!!

Unknown said...

The entire time I was reading this post, by the way, I was thinking, "Leave and Cleave!!"- our preacher talked about that in our marriage series at church, and my oh my is it true!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy things worked out the way they did. :) I have an unposted rant at the moment about my MiL that I'm undecided about - mostly trying to decide whether or not I really care if she reads it...and I'm leaning toward not caring.

Anonymous said...

That is so very awesome. An inspirational story for me, in ways you'll never know. Thank you.

Jaime said...

I can really relate to this. My side of the family doesn't agree with breastfeeding.

With each child I've had to put up with constant comments and the one thing I hate "when are you going to put him/her on formula?"

I never did, my children were all nursed for a year with no formula in their diets at all. It's a good thing too since 3 developed excema. I don't even want to imagine how much worse their skin might have been otherwise.