Monday, November 12, 2007

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...
I think I've had enough of one cartoon for the day. Logan & I had our usual cuddle/cartoon time on the couch after we got home from driving Bill to work. Then, we spent the later half of the morning watching SpongeBob SquarePants & cleaning the living room (like moving furniture kind of cleaning). There happened to be a cartoon marathon going on today, so this was the only thing he wanted to watch.

This afternoon Logan had an appointment to get his DT (diphtheria/tetanus) vaccination at the allergists office. We ran an errand or two before going to the appointment & it was nice to get out of the house (& away from SpongeBob) for a while. We got to the office & found the "kids corner". Somehow I missed this part of the waiting room the two other times we had been there. Logan had fun playing with the wood-carved animals, making animal noises & playing with a 3 year old boy that showed up shortly after us for his appointment too.

We were called back to an exam room & waited for an hour. Honestly, it was the fastest hour I've ever experienced. Logan & I were reading books, counting cars & tires in car magazines, playing with his cars & coloring (his SpongeBob coloring book, of course). The next thing I know, a nurse is apologizing for the Doctor being so backed up.

After the Doctor came in & we talked for a minute, a nurse came in to give Logan his shot. He was so cute in his long sleeved t-shirt, socks & diaper just running around & having conversations in "baby speak" with anyone who walked in the room. He was super brave & wanted to watch the needle go into his left leg. He literally only cried for 5 seconds. After he got his shot, we had to wait for 30 minutes to make sure he didn't have any reactions. While we waited, the nurse put on a video for Logan to watch. SpongeBob SquarePants.

We watched this the whole time & continued to color in his coloring book, reading books & playing with cars. He seemed fine & his usual self. He kept pointing to the band-aid on his leg because it was sore. But, he just pointed to it, nothing else.

After we were cleared to go, I got Logan dressed & noticed that he had a redish-purple mark behind his left ear. It was almost like a bruise, but he didn't get hurt there today (or yesterday). The Allergist took a look at it & just said to keep an eye on it & give Logan Benadryl if we need to. Logan got a SpongeBob sticker on the way out.

We got home & ate dinner. Pasta with ground beef meat sauce & cheese, peas, carrots & milk. Logan was stripped down to his diaper because he's still super messy with the pasta sauce. As he was eating, I noticed a few more hives pop up. One on his left forearm & another on his chest. After dinner, Bill gave him a bath then we did our usual tag team switch off where I do the rest of Logan's bedtime routine. As I was brushing his teeth, I checked his left ear again & it was looking OK. I checked his right ear to find a hive on his ear lobe (of all places). He had a few more on his left leg & hip.

I got him massaged with lotion & in his jammies for the night. I also gave him some Benadryl before hitting the sack. The hives weren't huge, but there were enough of them that I didn't want him to have any other kinds of reactions in his sleep. I don't think I'll sleep well tonight because of it, going in to check on him every time I wake up.

So, this will be an interesting conversation with the Allergist. Logan had a skin test that included the DT vaccination & it came back negative. Yet, here we are with him breaking out into hives - a delayed reaction, 45 minutes to 2 hours after the shot. He didn't even have any reactions to this vaccination the last time he got it. I'm sure I'll just get the Benadryl advice since there's nothing else they can do about it. We still have to go back to do some more skin testing, one test specifically for gelatin & the Allergist thinks there may be gelatin the the DT shot (the MMR for sure) & it would make sense if it was this component that was making Logan break out after his shots.

Update Tuesday 11/13
Logan woke up fine this morning with the spot behind his ear gone. He still had a big hive that at first glance, looked like a goose egg on the left side of his forehead on his hair line. He had a small cluster rash on his stomach, on the sides of his legs & behind his knees. He didn't eat anything out of the ordinary for breakfast today (banana, whole wheat toast, butter, cinnamon, Carnation Instant Breakfast with whole milk). He was in good spirits despite the seemingly uncomfortable skin irritations.


Ami said...

And is he okay today?

Kristin said...

Thanks for reminding me to update Ami!