Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I cried, of course
This afternoon I had my "first" prenatal appointment (the others were emergency visits for medication). It was a really quick appointment with us not having any questions or concerns, thus making it even faster.

I'm now 12 weeks along, so the main purpose was to hear the heart beat. I was dressed in the exam gown with Logan sitting on Bill's lap looking at pictures of cartoon characters on his phone. I just had a physical days before I got the positive test, so other than blood pressure (110/70) & weight (gained another pound this week making it a total of 4 pounds since lunch at Cheesecake Factory), it was all about the doppler.

The heart beat was very strong, very easy to find & hear. Immediately a huge feeling of relief washed over me & the pregnancy became a little more real. With a big sigh, tears streamed down my face as I tried not to start full on sobbing. "It wasn't all for nothing", my OB said as she smiled & handed me a few tissues.

Exactly. Being this sick for so long wasn't all for nothing. It was a big fear for me that we might not hear the heart beat & all of this suffering was pointless, then I would have to do it all over again.

Everything is going well so far. A strong heart beat, HG subsiding leaving me nauseous mostly at night & I'm back to taking care of Logan again at bedtime (not to mention getting the house put together after the move). Things are finally getting back to normal.

7 comments:

::Jenn:: said...

congrats!!! i know what being sick is like!!! i puked for 14 weeks with my son! it was horrid. i had to have a shot of phenagren because it was so bad!!!!

Congrats on baby #2....

Jezer said...

Ah, Yay! Enjoy the honeymoon stage of pregnancy! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is great news...Glad that you are starting to feel better.Take care of yourself.

Canadian Mommy said...

Yay for tiny heartbeats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats :) Great news!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

OH that is so great.. such wonderful news. I tell ya, there's just something different about having subsequent babies..I wish I knew why. lol

Jaime said...

I'm glad to hear you're getting back to normal now!

The heartbeat...there is no better feeling in the world than that super fast thumping sound.

Next time can we know the heart rate? I was always told boys were high and girls were low (and it was true for me!)