Monday, March 17, 2008

Not a good way to start the day
This morning has left me very sore, sitting in pain & emotionally exhausted. I don't think I've ever had a worse Monday in my life. And it's only 1:00. We're half way through the day. I'm hoping it can only get better.

It was our early day today since Bill starts work an hour earlier because of meetings. After we dropped him off at work, Logan & I came home to eat breakfast, watch cartoons & get ready to go to a St. Patrick's Day playgroup at a friends house. When I got out of the shower, Logan came upstairs with a bloody lip. I have no idea what he did or how he did it, but I wiped off his face, looked at his lip (which was fine) & escorted him back downstairs while I continued getting ready.

After I was dressed & ready, I came back downstairs to get Logan so he could get dressed for the day. I noticed that Buddha peed on the floor (thank God it wasn't the carpet). I got that cleaned up & tried to get him in his kennel. He knew he was in trouble & ran around the house. While I tried to heard him, that's when it happened.

I fell. Hard. Straight on my tail bone.

It was like a banana peel slip, with both of my legs in the air, one after the other, while I smacked my rear end on the hardwood floor. It knocked the wind out of me & it hurt so bad that I couldn't get up. I had to roll over. After I could get up, I immediately called my OB to figure out what to do. I had to go in so they could make sure the baby was OK.

I called Bill crying to let him know what happened & that I would be going in for an emergency visit. Then I called photographer friend crying to see if she could watch Logan for me while I was getting checked out. I got Logan dressed all the while my hips aching, tail bone throbbing, back tightening up & a crampy feeling in my pelvis.

When I dropped Logan off, photographer friend met me in the drive way with a big hug telling me that everything will be OK as I cried on her shoulder. She got Logan out of the car for me & took him inside to play with Little M. After wiping away tears & having a short conversation, I left for the appointment.

Fortunately I didn't have to wait long. The nurse called me back & escorted me to the scale. It was a quiet encounter without a single word from her. Not a "how are you?" or "it will be OK", just silence as she checked my vitals. This kind of scared me. I sat in the exam room waiting for the Doctor to come in. It seemed like eternity before she knocked on the door. I told her what happened & she did a pelvic exam. Everything was fine there. She got the doppler to check for the heart beat. Unlike last time, it was harder to find the heart beat. As she searched, I held my breath. "This isn't the best monitor to use for how far along you are in the pregnancy", she said. Then she found it & it sounded good.

I let out a huge sigh & again started crying & wiping tears from my cheeks. The Doctor helped me up & gave me a long hug. "I was so worried. I'm so glad everything is OK", I sobbed. She was very sympathetic & comforting, telling me to call her if I needed anything. We went over my treatment plan, because I ultimately sprain/strained my entire pelvic complex. Just like any other soft tissue injury, ice, heat, rest (how do you rest your butt if you're sitting on it?) & ibuprofen are going to be my best friends for a while.

I picked up Logan & we went about our day as usual. The only difference was that I was trying not to cry uncontrollably. We went out to lunch with Bill & his family (without me crying) & it just drained the life out of me. I'm ready for a nap & for it to be tomorrow.

All I can think about is how after living inside a sick mommy for many weeks & getting knocked around on the hardwood floors, this little peanut is one strong kid so far. Just like their big brother.


Anonymous said...

Oh my....I am so happy to hear that you are both ok....I hope you start feeling better soon....Take care.

Mom2Max&Alex said...

I'm glad to hear you are ok. How miserable though. Hopefully it heals quickly and things will get back to normal!!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh I'm so glad the baby is okay. Hopefully it won't take long to heal and you'll feel better soon!! **HUGS**

Rayven said...

Happens to the best of us. I slid and fell flat on my back when I was moping floors at 33 weeks with twins. Spent the day in the hospital as they stopped the labor. Not fun. But they were born happy and healthy at term.

Take it easy. A sore tailbone is an easy price to pay for a healthy baby.