Friday, May 09, 2008

Officially pregnant
I cannot even begin to express how important yesterday's ultrasound was to me. I finally feel like I'm out of pregnancy limbo, that it's "real" & more significantly, we're waiting for Carter not "the baby". As each minute of the day passes, I am increasingly more excited (not that I wasn't before).

Now I feel pregnant. I feel like we can start getting Carter's room ready (while getting Logan's decorated as well since it's been bare ever since we've moved), we can start looking for newborn clothes & the small odds & ends that we'll need to get to be ready for him, which honestly isn't much. The knots in my stomach from before the ultrasound have now turned into butterflies of anticipation.

To each their own, but I really don't understand how parents, especially mothers, can go on in a pregnancy wanting to be surprised. To me, the difference in knowing is like night & day. I couldn't imagine not knowing. Thank God I was born in this century where routine ultrasounds are available & finding out the gender is common.

What's also beginning to sink in is that I'm the mother of two boys. I was not really hoping for one specific gender, only a healthy baby, but having another boy is almost a relief (almost). I kind of feel like I know what I'm doing & getting myself into. But that's also the other half the the almost, I know what I'm getting myself into. I've been mentally preparing this pregnancy to expect an equally rambunctious, messy, loud, active, tornado of a kid as Logan is. Which is bittersweet. It will be amazingly fun (boy scouts, soccer practice, etc) but it will not be easy (trips to the ER for stitches, broken bones, bringing snakes & bugs into the house). I'm envisioning Double Trouble.

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a couple of months when I'm big, swollen, hot & uncomfortable at the end of the pregnancy, but really - this is when it gets to be fun for me. I'm no longer sick, bedridden, anxious & "stuck". I am so freaking excited I can barely stand it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BOYS ARE DOUBLE TROUBLE,BUT SO WORTH IT.THEY SHARE A SPECIAL BOND AND ITS FUN WATCHING THEM TOGETHER.CONGRATS AGAIN....

Joanna said...

I am opposite in the fact that I wanted all girls and that's what I got. I never wanted a boy after my first girl was born for the fact, I knew what I was doing with a girl, no surprises, just glittery sparkly girly things. Now, I am wanting that boy. Both of my girls are daddies girls so it's so hard for me. Don't get me wrong my girls and I have a special bond, but I want a "mommas baby". My friends that have boys have this. So, I am hoping of course in the future for a healthy baby no matter what but it won't hurt one bit to be a boy! ; )

Jaime said...

Both girls and boys are great. =)

For me, the surprise of not knowing the sex was the absolute best surprise I could ever have.

For me there was just something so profound about our infants being born and hearing the words, "it's a boy!" or "it's a girl!"

For us, it was the right choice to wait. I'd do it again if I could.

Jaime said...

Wow, I must be tired. Sorry for repeating myself above. I guess "for me" needs some sleep x.x