Sunday, February 19, 2006

Never separate a mother bear from her baby bear.
Unless you really want to loose an arm or a leg or worse, your head. That's one of the first things you learn when you go hiking in bear country. This is also the rule of thumb for any living thing, including people.

Bill's family has been over here this weekend again. I thought that the "crazy overprotective" feeling was going to be better. I thought, "Hmmm, time has passed. It's been a couple of weeks. I should be over this". I was wrong. It's worse. Time has passed, but that also means that the bond between us is much stronger. It makes every cell in my body explode with anxiety to see my son being taken care of by someone else when I'm being shooed off to bed, willing & able to do my mommy job. It's not that I don't trust others capabilities. It's quite the opposite. Everyone is very good with Logan & loves him very much. It's just my brain saying, "Hey, that's my job! I'm here & I can take care of him, not you".

The brain is very tricky to control when sleep deprived. There's the logical part reminding me that they are going to see Logan only a few times each year. Chill out. It's just for the weekend & soon enough, I'll be holding him again. But then there is the primal part of my brain, just like the mother bear. There is no voice, just feeling. Very intense feeling. It's such a deep & raw feeling that it surprises me.

I had finished feeding Logan when I brought him upstairs into his room to change him. He was on the changing table as I was getting the next "costume change" ready. Just as I turn around, Bill's mom had snatched him up off of the table & took him away to cuddle. The primal part of my brain wanted to scream. "Wait, you can't cuddle him! He's in a dirty diaper. I have to take care of that now!" I came out into the loft where everyone was hanging out. I was told that I should go to bed. That's when I almost completely snapped. I jolted up out of the chair & said, "Fine, I'm going to bed. Someone has to change him though". Anyone who thinks that a mom will be able to sleep when she can hear her fussy baby has another thing coming to them. It is physically impossible for me to sleep when I can hear him. I may be able to hear everyone else in muffled tones that I can ignore, but I can hear Logan as clear as a bell. Like he's sitting right outside of my bedroom door.

Bill came into the bedroom & said a few choice words to me, telling me that I was being short with everyone. I told him that when he is up every two hours, then he has every right to tell me that. Otherwise I didn't want to hear it. Short. They're lucky I was just being "short". If they only had a clue as to what was going on inside of my head. Bill later came back in to apologize for what he said & told me he knows that it's difficult. I cried telling him that he would never understand the feelings that were going on.

Sunday was much better. I had a little more sleep & we spent the day shopping. It wasn't the shopping that made the day better. It was the fact that Logan was in his car seat all afternoon & for some reason it felt a little more calm to me. Grandma bought Logan all sorts of new clothes, baby books & a rocking chair to sit in up in the loft. Grandpa bought him a stroller (which is really cool) & Aunt Ju Ju bought him a book, a cute frog rattle & long sleeved onesie.

Everyone has gone back home & Bill is at work. It's just me & the little munchkin again. It feels good. Don't get me wrong, I love everyone to death & I really appreciate all of the stuff they got for Logan & the help with dinners & laundry. It's just that family visits are so stressful now. It's ridiculous. I don't know if I'll ever get over it either. The mother bear mentality is probably going to be with me for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Are *you* my reader from Parker, CO?? I've been seeing someone from there from time to time, and I hope it's you because this is a wonderful blog!!

Logan is gorgeous. I remember feeling EXACTLY like you when D was so little. It's part sleep deprivation, part "now that my life revolves around someone else, you can't ask me to turn that off!" I remember snapping at my mother for telling me to go to bed, then I cried for as long as it took me to fall asleep.

Part of it got better for me, but the being-able-to-hear-my-son-no-matter
what-other-ambient-noise-is-going on never did disappear. Not even when I was tearfully grateful that someone else wanted to get up with him at 10 months old!! I had to get earplugs.

Hope it gets better. In-laws are always stressful, and first-time dads aren't always sure of what to do. I'll be checking on you--can I blogroll you?

Avorie said...

You know, I would feel totally insane if it weren't for all these blogs I read. They remind me that we are all going through similar experiences and I can really relate to your post.

My in-laws live 10 minutes away. Lilly their 7th grandchild, so they didn't seem very interested. Or so I thought. Now they drop by, unannounced, about every other day. They are in their 70's. My mother-in-law has been pretty good though. She sits down while she holds Lilly and doesn't mess with her or tell me how to do everything. My father-in-law, on the other hand, is a doctor and is constantly checking Lilly out. He prods her soft spot, checks her for Jaundice every minute or so, tickles her, tries to lift her toenails to see what bothers her, etc... It makes my blood boil and I absolutely cannot stand to watch it. I get in a really pissy mood, which isn't lost on anyone. I think it must be becaus I can't stand to be messed with and I have a difficult time letting anyone mess with Lilly. Rationally, I know he's a doctor and isn't hurting her. But some wierd primal part of me just feels like I have to protect her from him. Of course, part of that may be because of an episode that happened last week. You see, he loves chocolate and has fed his other grandchildren chocolate when they were just weeks or months old! I have made it clear that he cannot feed chocolate to Lilly, but he just laughs and all my sisters-in-law tell me to give up because it's going to happen. As a result, I have decided that he will not be around Lilly unsupervised. Last week, my mother in law was over and holding Lilly while I took a nap. When I woke up, I found my father-in-law had stopped by for a visit as well. He had been eating chocolate and had this very surprised and guilty look on his face. I thought it was because he was eating the box of chocolates on my desk, but they left imediately and when I went to pick the baby up, I found chocolate crumbs in her basinet! She was 5 days old!!! I was so mad and burst into tears for having left her alone with them (even though I didn't know he was going to stop by) and for not protecting her.

We see them several times a week and have family dinners every Friday night. I am just going to have to learn to deal with this. When they start messing with Lilly, I'm going to tell them that need her back and to please humor me because I'm a new mother. I don't know if that will work. Perhaps I need to talk with him and tell him that it bothers me when he messes with her and he's welcome to hold her as long as he doesn't constantly prod her. I don't know...

Kristin said...

I am so glad I'm not alone on this one. It really makes me feel like I'm a crazy person & maybe I could benefit from some type of medication. If it weren't for all of the other mommy blogs, I would totaly think I was crazy!

I may end up getting those ear plugs next time they're here Stef!

Avorie, if I found out someone was giving Logan chocolate, I would rip their head off. Then I would make them stay up with him when it doesn't agree with his little stomach & make them change his diapers. You'll have to let me know how the conversation goes if you end up talking to him about it. Good luck & hang in there!