Thursday, February 23, 2006

I've read all sorts of parenting books & it doesn't matter.
Before Logan was born, I used to worry about how I was going to raise him. How was I going to feed him & get him to sleep? What could I expect to do with a newborn? What was my life going to be like with him? It came down to attachment parenting vs. parent directed feeding (aka: scheduling). Well, in my opinion, it's all crap.

In these few short weeks with Logan, I've learned that you do what works best for the family. It does take a bit of trial & error, but nothing is by "the book" of any book. I was leaning toward the parent directed feeding technique. I'm a bit of an anal personality & I like order & predictability. It made sense to have a schedule where I feed Logan at this time, change him, do this & that & then cycle that throughout the day. I knew what I was going to be doing, how to do it & I felt prepared. I didn't like the idea of attachment parenting because I was afraid of having a "clingy" baby that would have a hard time gaining his own independence. I also didn't want to be used as a pacifier & constantly be breast feeding. Co-sleeping scared me because of the increased risk of SIDS.

The bottom line is that Logan is not a programmable robot to do as I will him to do. He is his own person (even at 3 weeks old) that has his own game plan. He does have a little bit of a routine, like feeding every 1 1/2 -4 hours & getting changed afterward, but that's about it. We have a bassinet in our room, but lately he's wanted to fall asleep on me & stay there. We've slept on the futon in the loft, on the couch in the living room & now I've given into letting him sleep in our bed after he wakes up to eat in the mornings. I actually like having him in our bed at 7 am. It makes for a great way to wake up & start the day.

If I'm helping to form bad habits, I'm sure I'll pay for it later. At least I'm gaining a little bit of my sanity back. The little bit of extra sleep & a little less of Logan crying is making for better days & a happier mommy.

2 comments:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

OMG! I did so many posts just like this, and you know what? You're smart to figure this out early. The most common-sense book I read basically said babies have virtually no long-term memory of their first 3 months (the author called the firs t3 months "the fourth trimester") and so anything you did during that time wasn't making bad habits. Hence--for us--the paci (which, of course is NOW a habit, but wasn't at 3 mos), the swaddling, the white noise (humidifer--Noise and moisture all in one--LOVE IT!), and the happy baby who slept 7 hours at a stretch.

Of course, he doesn't sleep like that anymore, dangit, but it was fun while it lasted.

Oh, and I think sleeping with your baby on your chest is about the best perk of being a first-time mom!

Kristin said...

The Happiest Baby On The Block? I skimmed through that one, mostly looking at the "5 S's". It does work, for a while. I forgot about the part where there is no memory of the first 3 months though. Glad to know that I'm not steering Logan in the wrong direction with these habits!