Wednesday, February 15, 2006











































Today was Logan's first Doctors appointment.

We did a pretty good job of timing his feeding & getting ready. I was even able to take a shower & put on make-up (quite the miracle these days). It was pretty cold & windy outside so I got him dressed in his cute fuzzy bear jumper. He's so cute in it, I still haven't taken him out of it & plan on keeping him in it until he gets it dirty. It's one of the few outfits that actually fits him pretty well too.

We got to the appointment on time (another miracle. I was never on time to my prenatal appointments & I only had to get myself ready). A nurse had me get him undressed & she checked him out. It was a good thing that I stocked the diaper bag well, because when she took his temperature (rectally) he made a pretty big mess, almost getting her wet. His head was 14 1/4 inches. He weighed 7 lbs 8 oz. A good weight gain, but hardly the super chunk that I thought he was turning into. He was measured at 21 inches long. So he hasn't grown heavy, but long. Everyone in Bill's family thinks that Logan is going to be a super tall guy, I'm thinking so too now. Bill guessed 6' 2'', his mom is guessing taller at 6' 4''. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The Doctor came in to do her exam. Everything checked out just fine. She recommended that Logan take a liquid vitamin supplement because he is solely breast fed. Because babies aren't outside in the sun (a good thing to reduce the risk of skin cancer), they lack the right level of vitamin D for bone development if they are breast fed. Formulas have added vitamin D. Afterward, we went down to the lab for his second PKU test. I had to hold him while the technician pricked his heel & literally milked the blood from his foot. It was not very fun, but Logan was a trooper. He cried just a little bit in the beginning. We go back in six weeks for his vaccinations (yikes, we're both not going to like that).

We left the clinic & went out for breakfast. Logan just hung out in his carrier, sleeping the whole time. I think the events of the morning had worn him out. We got home just in time to feed him again. I'm glad that we made it home, because I'm not feeling very comfortable about feeding him in public yet. It's a shame that I feel that way, but I'm sure I'll get over it with time & practice.

No comments: