Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Not this again
Now that the cold has run it's course through everyone in the house, I woke up this morning covered in hives. All over my trunk, hips & legs. It's always something, isn't it!

This totally reminds me of the allergy episode that I went through 6 years ago. At least I know what to do & it's not going to be that big of a deal (hopefully). But, guess who get to start an allergy elimination diet! Wonderful. Well, at least the last time I did this I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. Not that I have 30 lbs to lose, but that "last 10" that I've been planning to drop once we were finished with breast feeding isn't going to be a problem.

I've re-read the list of foods that were causing problems last time & I think I've narrowed the main culprit to dairy. Unless there's a new food, but I doubt it. Or at least I hope that's it.

6 comments:

liz said...

you can just periodically develop an allergy to dairy?
fortunately, i've never had a food allergy, that i know of anyways. i didn't realize they can be transient.
anyhoo: i hope your hives are clearing up and you're on the mend. STAT!

Kristin said...

It's usually related to a stress response. The food allergies, or sensitivities aren't a problem if histamine levels aren't very high. But once there are prolonged spikes of histamine, food sensitivities show up as allergies in the form of hives.

If I eat dairy (like the mac & cheese I had last night for dinner) & I've been under a good amount of stress, tada. Hives.

It makes it easy to not be a stress eater though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no. I hope you figure it out soon!

Jezer said...

You poor soul!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with dairy. I'm almost totally convinced that humans were never intended to consume dairy products. Except cheese. Cheese should be its own food group.

I hope it's an easy fix and you are clear and hives-free very very soon!

liz said...

kristin--thanks for explaining. interesting. i mean, it's terrible that you have the hives, but what an interesting phenomenon. can i get some of that to curb my habit of stress eating? or a tapeworm, please?

Canadian Mommy said...

yikes! good luck getting it all figured out!