Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Our poor family & food sensitivities & allergies.
Well, I got a call back from Logan's pediatrician with the results of his blood tests & poop samples. He is NOT sensitive to dairy or soy. I find this hard to believe. After his last appointment, I started to decrease the amount of soy in my diet & also still kept dairy out. His diapers looked better. No blood & less mucous. Sometimes I have a hard time with modern western medicine. I went through this exact same thing right before my 21st birthday.

A few days before my birthday, I broke out into a horrendous rash of blister kind of hives. I went to my Doctor & they couldn't figure it out. They told me it was folliculitis. That's the diagnosis they give you when there's nothing else to say. Then they told me that it was probably flea bites. First, we were living in Vegas. There are no fleas in Vegas, it's too hot. Second, I know what fleas are like & my dogs didn't have them. So after suffering, itching, crying & feeling stressed about my body looking like it belonged in a dermatology diagnosis book, I went to a friends colon hydrotherapy office. I had a series of colonics, which did help, but she also did some allergy testing for me. I still have the list of everything that she found:
  1. Chocolate
  2. Yeast
  3. White Wine
  4. Peanut Oil
  5. Corn Oil
  6. Canola Oil
  7. Crisco
  8. Olive Oil
  9. All Dairy
  10. Crab
  11. Strawberry
  12. Banana
  13. Popcorn
  14. Corn
  15. Chestnut
  16. Coconut
  17. Peanut
  18. Black Pepper
  19. Sweet & Low
  20. Yellow Squash
  21. Pumpkin
  22. Black & Green Olive
  23. White Potato
  24. Radish
  25. Sweet Potato
  26. Red Potato
  27. Yam
  28. Carrot
  29. Asparagus
So yeah, folliculitis, huh? Right. It's more like I was sensitive to EVERYTHING I was eating. I made a drastic change to my diet & everything cleared up within days. DAYS! After I had been dealing with this crap for about a month! I wish I knew someone in Colorado who did this kind of testing, because your metabolism changes about every 7 years. That's when you can expect sensitivities to show up again & usually, they are from different foods.

Logan is kind of screwed when it comes to food sensitivities because not only do I have them, but Bill does as well. He can't eat garlic, peanut butter or marinara sauces (& dairy, but he's in total denial about that...he's a milk addict).

Logan's Doctor said that because he's still a happy baby, eating well & not acting sick, they're not too concerned. If things change & if there's an increase in the amount of blood, then they will do more testing. It was recommended that Logan is not to eat peanut butter, honey & other high allergen foods until he's two years or older. She also said that babies are most sensitive between the ages of 2 to 6 months. This is something that he could grow out of. With our family history, I doubt it.

My poor baby is destined to live a bland, boring culinary life. I pray that he's just sensitive to things & doesn't develop true allergies that put him into anaphylactic shock. That's when things get scary. I'm going to be a major worry wart when we start introducing solids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny Kristin, that is what the Dr. told me too.. foliculitis. Ha Ha HA!~ I agreee with you on the western med tid bit.
I am doing the master cleanse and in four days my skin has cleared up from years of "foliculitis." I could never afford to go the allergists here.. they charge a butt load.
Best of luck my dear!

Reesh said...

I had the same experience with stupid doctor's telling me it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is basically the name they give you when they have finished all their poking and proding and come up blank. Not once did they tell me to look at my diet. A friend of mine did that for me and it turns out I am allergic to wheat and dairy. After about 3 days not eating these things my health was greatly improved.

When you do start feeding Logan solids you should start with one food at a time (avacados) and slowly introduce foods keeping track of any mood changes, skin changes or elimination changes. A great book to read on this matter is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

Anyways, the bottom line is you know what's best for Logan and if cutting out Soy and Dairy is helpuing, then keep it up my dear, he will thank you later.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

D had mucousy poop for, like, ever, and I, like you, disregarded the peed's advice and stopped wheat, dairy and soy for a time. (I felt like all I could eat were cucumbers, UGH). For D, it made no diff in his poop, but his skin was much better when I was off dairy.

And then we started solids, and the mucous went away totally and stayed away. Isn't that crazy??

My mom's a ped. nutrutionist, so now I listen to her on food stuff. The good news is that childhood/infancy sensitivities almost always go away by age 3. WHEW.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Oh, and Super Baby Food ROCKS. She's pretty militantly vegetarian, but her ideas are numerous and good.