Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm a suburban stay at home mom.
This hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. We had a few errands to run today, with an adjustment after dropping Bill off at work, followed by a trip to the mall. I usually don't shop at the mall, but I am a sucker for designer skin care products, even though the research shows that they're no different than the stuff you can get at the local grocery store. I feel like there is a difference, plus it's the only thing I splurge on myself. Bill absolutely hates this & reminds me about how much he hates it every time I run out of something.

After our last experience at the mall with Logan not wanting to be in the stroller, I stuck him in the Baby Bjorn. It was pretty early & the mall hadn't been open for that long. I know mall walking is a hobby/sport for the elderly. I did not know that it was a past time for stay at home moms. Everyone there was either over the age of 65 or had at least one baby, if not more loaded up in strollers. My adventures as a stay at home mom have been pretty boring considering that we don't leave the house often because we are sharing a car so I can stay at home. I don't know where I would go anyway, but it's apparent that everyone else goes to the mall.

As I was walking around observing the fact that this is my life, I felt my nose wrinkle. I never thought that I would be a mom, let alone staying at home as well. I always thought that I would be a professional career woman. But here I was with a baby strapped to my chest as I passed by all of the other stay at home moms. I don't regret my decisions at all & quite frankly, I consider this to be the best my life has ever been. It's just funny how at one point in my life I had a vision of being at a certain place, doing a certain thing. Kind of like when people ask, "What do you see yourself doing in 10 years"? My answer was never, "I want to live in the suburbs & be a stay at home mom. Maybe do some scrap booking, learn to cook & oh, I want to hang out at the mall in the morning with my baby". But here I am, doing what I said I would never do. I have to admit, I love it.

3 comments:

the boyd girls.... said...

I can relate to this entry! I find myself at our mall about 2 times a week! I meet friends for lunch, it is easy to have a stroller there and you have a lot of food choices in the food court! Our Dillards Dept store even has nice bathrooms with couches and huge changing tables for the occasional nursing and changing! I used to hate the mall, now I am there all the time!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Girl, you are too cute. Our mall is so lame, even the SAHMs avoid it. Dang. Maybe I'll come hang out at YOUR mall.

Anonymous said...

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT!!! It's great that you have the opportunity. and little Logan will be so much better off!