Thursday, April 27, 2006

The roller coaster ride that is our life.
Just when I think we're making it to the top, the track switches & we go speeding upside down into a loop. I hate loops. I hate roller coasters. Sometimes I hate being an adult.

At the beginning of the week when I was worried about finances, it turns out that I had every right to be. At the time I didn't know it, but a few days later when Bill got paid, I freaked out. I sent Bill a million text messages asking him what we were going to do. Because the weather has been nice, Bill has been burnt out & his employees are as dumb as a box of rocks, they didn't profit that much. No bonus for us. When he called he said we spend most of our money on food, to which I replied that I would stop eating so I could still stay at home. So we are going to re-work the budget this weekend. In the past this wouldn't have been that big of a deal. We would've just put our nose to the grind & worked more hours, sacrificing the time to spend together until we were back in the black. These things happen & we've been through it before. It's totally different now. Bill can only work so many hours without being worked to death & with me at home, there's Logan to worry about too. Financial dips are much more serious now.

So after that, I started to write the book. It's not going to be a fast fix, that's for sure, but at least it's getting started. If it comes down to me training again, I'm going to do a mom/baby boot camp for the neighborhood. Seeing as though we live in suburban mom central, this should work out pretty well. I won't have to worry about what to do with Logan either, so that will be nice. I'm still brainstorming hoping to come up with some other work at home ideas.

I'm glad I was thinking because then we got more news last night. Bill called yesterday afternoon. "I have some bad news. I'm getting demoted. The club hasn't hit goal, so they're sending me to another club & not as the manager". He was going to meet with the regional manager to talk about it. After I got off the phone, I put Logan in his bouncer & got into the shower & cried. All I could think about was our 401K, our health insurance, our mortgage & putting Logan into daycare. I cried for a long time.

Later that night Bill got home, in a surprisingly good mood. He had a 2 hour meeting with the regional manager. He said that if this were happening to anybody else, they would be fired. But with Bill he sees long term management. He talked about wanting Bill to be a regional manager in the next few years. The demotion is more of a break. Work in another club closer to home, with a manager who has been through the same situation, don't worry about hitting goals & managing employees. Just "gross" (as the company likes to put it). He should get another club again in about 3 months. He said upper management would work with him & take care of him.

Bill also told me that they talked about my situation & what happened to me. He said the regional manager apologized up & down & thought the situation was BS (what, being fired because I was pregnant? No....well, at least somebody still has a soul there). He said that he tried to do everything he could (that's what everybody else said too) & he was upset because he thought that Bill & I were a great example of a family team for the company. I'm glad someone is still thinking about me over there, because I'm still very bitter about what happened.

After our long conversation with Bill feeling really good about the whole situation, I'm trying my best to think positively. We both buy into the philosophy that "things happen for a reason". Life has dealt us some pretty big blows in the past & we always seem to come out on top, in a much better situation & with a whole lot more character.

1 comment:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Things do happen for a reason!! You guys will get through this rough time. Ricky and I are going through a veeeeeery confusing financial situation right now (let's just say we don't know what's going on now from one day to the next) but as long as the budget stays then it makes it alot easier. Staying at home with a little baby is awesome (i would have never believed that before I got pregnant..lol) and it's a lucky thing to be able to do these days. Geez, I feel like I should work again just to pay for gas...LOL Another thing I always believe in,..going with the flow. I wish you guys the best of luck! It'll work out. =D