Sunday, April 30, 2006

Logan's First Day at the Zoo
We didn't have any hikes planned for this weekend because we are going to go on Thursday with a friend, so I asked Bill if there was anything he wanted to do this weekend. "Clean out the garage, organize the basement, mow the lawn", were all of his answers. "Or we could go to the zoo".

Bill & I love the zoo. We would go a few times a year, even though we didn't have any kids to entertain. This was one thing we were pretty excited about as parents, to get a chance to experience it as "kids" again.

I thought it was a great idea since Logan has been more aware of his surroundings & he's been paying more attention to the animals at home. He'll watch Buddha walk across the room & his eyes follow him the whole way. He also has great neck strength, so this was the first time he could be facing out in the Baby Bjorn. He really liked that, even though it was mostly to lick & eat the carrier.
We lathered him in sunscreen, even though I know his skin is still really thin & sunscreen won't help that much. I was a little over protective regarding sunburns because we watched a show the night before where a couple of new parents took their 6 week old baby camping at the beach & the baby got 2nd degree burns on his face. I cried when I watched this as his mother was trying to breast feed him to comfort his burnt face. So, we had Logan's hat, sunscreen with SPF 50 & many breaks in the shade. I was shocked to see how many small children were out & about without proper protection, but then again, I was in over-do-it mode.

We had a great time showing Logan all of the animals & occasionally he would look at them. There were a lot of people there & he was just taking it all in. Bill & I looked for all of the north american animals so we could take pictures to hang in Logan's boy scout/mountain room. Bill got some great shots of the grizzly bears, mountain goats & canadian geese.

Logan was on his beast behavior. We had to take a break to feed him, so we sat on a bench by the monkeys & I threw a blanket over my shoulder. He had a diaper blow out shortly there after & strangely, the only restroom with a changing table near by was in the mens room. Lucky Dad.
We had a great time hanging out & experiencing the zoo for the first time with Logan. I have a feeling that we'll be there all of the time. Logan zonked out the minute we got home & has been eating & sleeping ever since. I think we wore him out, but I know he still had fun.

3 comments:

Canadian Mommy said...

Looks like he had fun! Claire really loved the zoo when we took her too! Cute pics!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

How CUTE! I have the same pic of D in the bjorn, gnawing away. It was always wet and clammy after our walks. Eeew.

And keep him in hats!! D hates hats now, and I am not the sunscreen nazi I should be, so my guy got kinda pink last week! There goes my mother of the year award!!

Avorie said...

Oh! Your new hairstyle looks great!! I think I need to cut mine shorter. Oh how I wish it was naturally straight so I wouldn't have to blow-dry and curl it straight!