Sunday, April 02, 2006

Another weekend bites the dust.
It was really nice to have Bill home all weekend. We were planning on going on a long walk at a local reservoir on Saturday, but it started to rain. Coming from Portland, I know I won't melt in the rain & neither will Logan, but I didn't want his first hike to be a wet one. So, maybe we'll go next weekend.

Since we weren't going to do anything on Saturday, Bill suggested that I go work out. It sounded like a good idea to me! I pumped & left him with a bottle & went to my old gym. Bill told me that there had pretty much been a complete staff turnover & I probably wouldn't know anybody there anymore. I got there & looked for people I knew. There usually aren't any trainers there late on a Saturday afternoon, but there were a couple. One of them was a really great co-worker that I spent a lot of time talking to about pregnancy & overworking. She was like the mom of the gym. It was nice to see her & talk for a quick second while her client was in between sets.

It was really strange to be there again. I went through my routine, starting from the basics. It was interesting to notice how much pregnancy changes your body not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. I used to have a really strong core, but not anymore. While I was on cardio, I had this odd feeling. It was almost like the pregnancy, birth & Logan were all a very long & vivid dream & I was back in my "old life". It was a little freaky actually.

It was nice to take a couple of hours to workout. Motivation isn't a problem anymore. I just had to feel that cardio "high" for a second & I was hooked again. I had so much energy when I walked out the door to go back home, even with severe sleep deprivation. I talked to Bill about getting a workout in when he comes home from work every night. They're going to be late workouts, so we'll see what happens to the energy level, but I want to try it out.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

I wish I had your motivation. I can't seem to get motivated to even walk on my treadmill, much less, do cardio... I'm terrified of being this size forever, yet, I'm not motivated... *sigh* Any tips on motivation!?

Kristin said...

Pre-baby, I used to think of myself in a bikini & I had this "bikini, bikini, bikini" montra going through my head whenever I wanted to quit. Now I think it's kind of silly of me to think of myself in a bikini, even though I want to be in one this summer. I've just been thinking about fitting into my pre-preg clothes.

On Saturday I was hooked by the adrenaline rush of cardio. If you get your Target Heart Rate up to 130-150 bpm, you'll feel it for sure. It feels awesome, but I'm an exercise junkie to begin with.

You pretty much have to find that one thing that drives you. What's the #1 reason you want to get back into shape? If it's fear (which is a good motivator), there has to be a deadline, otherwise you'll just live in that unproductive fear. A lot of people are afraid of showing up to a highschool reunion in the shape they're in. For others, it's a summer vacation. Either way, these 2 situations have a definite deadline. Fear was also a motivator for me. The fact that I might end up training a few people again put a fire under my rear. I didn't want to be an out of shape trainer. I know that I have 6 weeks before one of my potential clients gets out of rehab for her knee. I had to get crackin' ASAP.

Once you know why you want to get into shape & you know how long you have to get it done by, you just have to do it. That's the hard part. Just taking that 1st step. Once you do, each step will get easier & really, by 20 days, it will be part of your daily life. You just have to be consistant.

Good luck Corrine!