Thursday, April 13, 2006

Today is the day the family gets here.
I have a huge pit in my stomach. Bill & I had a conversation about 3 weeks ago about my feelings when his family is here. I told him that I don't want to be told to go take a nap or get out of the house to "get a break" & I don't want to feel like Logan has been taken hostage. These are difficult feelings for me because I know their intentions are good. I know that they are just really excited to see Logan because he is the first grand child in the family & they live so far a way. I feel horrible for feeling like this.

In our conversation, Bill said that I needed to call his mom & talk to her. At the time, it sounded like a good idea. "Be proactive instead of reactive", as Bill says. Then the weeks go by & I start thinking that this conversation is not going to be a good one. It's not nice to say, "I'm having a lot of anxiety about your visit". There's just no nice way of saying it & I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. So in my usual nature, I keep procrastinating. Last night while on the phone with Bill, I told him that I would need his help with Logan if he was still up so I could finish cleaning the house. "Just have my mom do it when she gets here. You know she would". "Yeah, but the last thing she's going to want to do is our house cleaning. She's going to want to hold Logan the whole time anyway. That's why she's coming". Then Bill reminded, or rather told me to make the call to her. After a heated discussion, Bill made a call to her later that night. He told me about it this morning & as I was eating breakfast & checking my email, I opened one from her about having a talk when she gets here tonight.

I know it's going to be a good conversation, even though it's a difficult topic. And I know that it's going to be better in the long run, because ultimately I won't keep feeling like a total shmuck. I just hate being in these situations. But hey, at least we'll be talking in a spotless house.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same feelings when it comes to my mil. She mentioned on the phone the other day to my husband that I needed to get out of the house. It irked me big time. I felt like calling her and saying first of all the baby is less than two weeks old and still under six pounds, second of all, I haven't been given the OK to drive yet, and thirdly, I don't want to get out. Ugg...it's hard when someone else's mother tries to act like yours.

Canadian Mommy said...

I had a similar situation. I didn't end up having to talk to my MIL, but rather, when she would try to take over (and I mean, litterally try to change a diaper while I was already doing it!) Dh finally told her (cause he saw what she was doing) that we've got it, and to sit down. She did, and its been better! I hope all goes well for you during the convo!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I love my mil and have a great relationship with her. See I can't relate yet (I'm only in my 16th week with my first). I think talking things out open and honestly is the best way to work it out. It may hurt her a little to hear what you have to say but at least you're being upfront directly with her and not going through Bill. That makes things much more tense from everyone involved. She needs to respect your wishes as Logan's mom, just as she would have wanted when she was a new mom. Hope all goes well!!!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I'll be thinking about you and sending understanding-y vibes your MIL's way. Tell her how you feel (I have to be very careful to use "I" statements with my MIL so she doesn't feel like I'm blaming her for everything) but you can also tell her that you know she means well and that she's trying to help--I mean, this is what you WANT to believe, even if you don't actually believe it all the time, right? :)

I hope things go well. If not, hey, they aren't staying forever, right? LOL....

happy easter!

Isabel said...

Good luck!!

owlhaven said...

I hope things go well. Happy easter!
Mary, mom to many

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Baby, I tagged you at Mommymatic. Look at the post "Tidbits"--there's an assignment there if you want to do it and if and when you have time! Enjoy!

Avorie said...

So how did it go? Sorry, it's been a while since I had time to read the blogs...