Monday, May 07, 2007

It's just a phase
This is what I keep telling myself every time Logan screams in a fit of full fledged toddler tantrum. When he gets out of control, we've done time-outs (which has only been a couple of times). Most of the time it's just him acting like a little booger, so much where I have found myself in extended mommy time-outs.

Many times throughout the day I tell him, "stop screaming", "you're fine", "mommy's not going to read to you if you scream like that", "calm down", "this is not nice behavior", "if you keep screaming like this, you're going on time-out", "mommy's not going to play with you if you keep acting like this", "I'm not having fun anymore. I'm going on time-out".

So, I often find myself in my own time-out with Logan running around doing his own thing in the playroom. I have been so thankful for cartoons like Classical Baby (Logan's favorite) because when it gets to be too much (like when I cooking dinner), things are calm & quiet when he's watching it.

I can't wait until this phase is over. I thought it took patience taking care of an infant waking up often in the middle of the night. That was nothing. This is hard.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hear you. PJ tends to take extended "naps" on those days when he's particularly frustrating. Like today. How can you be that starving yet refuse to eat your favorite food? And that's after doing the same thing for dinner last night and barely eating breakfast this morning. I think toddlers develop the talent of storing food in their bodies like camels, because they certainly don't seem to eat enough to survive some days.

Anonymous said...

Thats what I sound like over here. I'm constantly saying "we don't scream like that", "we're not going to keep playing if you act like that".. Just today she had a full on scream fest at the grocery store because I wouldn't let her play with the pen that is attached to the credit card machine at the check out line. You would have thought it was the end of the world...

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

We are still. saying. that.

But I am here to tell you that it has gotten so. much. better.

Hang in there--I found the age Logan's in now to be very trying sometimes, but this too shall pass. Keep giving yourself time when you need it--it's more for you than him anyway! :)

Wendy said...

I wonder if it's "Spring Fever"? LOL!! A lot of Mommy bloggers have been going crazy with their toddlers! Hope things get easier!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah I know how you feel too. Kira's begun throwing herself on the floor and kicking her legs, not quite screaming but yelling (trying to cry) and I *always* tell her, "Go throw your tantrum somewhere else, I don't want to hear it or see it." Usually it doesn't go on for extended periods of time thankfully and so far we've not had to do any time-out type of thing. Some days are worse than others, that's for sure. Interestingly enough though, she almost always does it when she's tired and almost no other time. Why she doesn't just signal that she's ready for bed is beyond me. LOL

Jake Silver said...

Yeah today I was trying to sleep and I heard Tate yelling his Mommie a lot today. It's kind of like screeching and crying. At least each one is brief. Like a few seconds and then he's over it.

Erin said...

I can definitely sympathize. When all else fails, we go outside. Even if the weather is gross. It's like a drug, it makes him instantly happy.