Friday, March 03, 2006

It's competition time!
I know I said that I wasn't going to get all wrapped up in getting back into shape, but now it's on. I'm striking while the iron is hot. There is a fitness competition going on between Bill & another trainer that he works with at the gym. The stats are exactly the same for the two of them. Bill is so pumped up it's crazy. I haven't seen him like this for a long time. They have both put in $100 & I guess the rest of the staff is going to put in some cash as a bonus. This is great. At the minimum there's $200 to gain (along with being in better shape). It's ending may 31 st.

So, Bill is all into eating better & working out again. I'm so happy. Things were getting a little out of control for a while there. The pregnancy didn't help much either. I think he gained more pregnancy weight than I did. I didn't say anything because I don't want to be that kind of wife. I married him as a big guy anyway. I'm more concerned about the health risks if he doesn't do it, like his sleep apnea getting worse. This is a great time for us to get back into shape together.

Bill used to be my poster boy for training. Back in Vegas we had some bad habits. I would drink home made mudslides with real ice cream with our neighbors...often. This was Vegas & we lived in an apartment complex with a lot of young people & a really nice pool. Many mudslides & multiple pints of Ben & Jerry's later, I remember looking at my butt in the mirror & freaking out. This was in the beginning of the year & I told myself that I had to be bikini ready for the summer. So, I hopped to it. I changed my nutrition & started working out. I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. Bill was impressed (aka: probably freaked out because his wife was now in good shape & going to hang out at the pool) & he decided to do the same. I helped him with nutrition & we made the fitness commitment together. In the course of the year he went from 270-ish to 170-ish. His before & after pictures helped me sell a whole lot of trainning sessions. They also helped him sell more memberships too. We made a great team.

That was the last time I saw him motivated to get into shape. He's made half assed attempts in the last year, but he never stuck to it. I asked him what's his motivation now, "It's time to get my butt into shape & because 90% of my clothes don't fit. I'm tired of wearing the same thing all of the time because it's the only thing that fits & I don't want to buy the next size up". That's music to a trainers ears. Real motivation.

He has been doing great this last week. He has been diligent in his work outs & stuck to better nutrition, even with many temptations at work. He told me that everyone at the gym is betting on the trainer winning the competition. They don't think Bill can do it. Boy, are they wrong. First, when it comes to competition, Bill is a maniac. He is one of the most competitive people I know (next to me). Then, I think everyone at the gym forgot that he's married to the nutrition nazi. As long as he keeps working out & eats what I plan out for him, it's in the bag.

So, here I am putting my trainer hat back on. I'm going to get a few meal plans together for us. We took our RMR tests this morning & he's taking another test at the gym to determine his macro nutrient combinations. With that info I'll make him my secret "6 pack ab plan" that I developed in Portland. When I tested this out on me, I lost 6 lbs in 3 days...the right way. It was nuts. I had a lot of clients get awesome results with it too. Bill's sister even lost 5 lbs in a few days as well. Last night we were talking about what he would do with the $200 when he wins. He laughed & said that he's going to buy a ton of sleeveless muscle shirts. A shopping spree for him sounds good to me!

2 comments:

Avorie said...

How fun! I love that you guys can do that together. I get on a health kick about twice a year, but it never last long. The only time I ever exercised regularly, was when I was pregnant.

I never had any inspiration to exercise before because I was always thin. This post-pregnancy body has been a real shocker, so when my 6 weeks are up, I'm going to work on getting back into shape too. For now, I'm enjoying lounging around with Lilly and eating bon-bons!

Good luck with the exercise regiment! I'd love to see the before and after pictures (in the past or this time around). And... maybe you can let us know your secret abs trick...?

goal10der said...

I have recently changed my eating habits and began an exercise routine for the same reason your husband did - I was tired of not having any clothes that fit! It's been great so far, but I'm not losing the weight as fast as I'd like. Maybe your secret ab-plan would help? Anyway, I really just wanted to wish your husband good luck!