Wednesday, January 10, 2007

49 weeks old
We're getting close to the end of weekly updates! Then it will be month-by-month developments. Crazy!

The last couple of weeks have been interesting. The biggest development is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but much worse. Logan is grinding his teeth. His two top teeth are still coming in, just as slow as the first two. But they have finally cut. The other day I heard this sound that stopped me in my tracks. "What is that?", I said with a twisted face like I'm getting tortured. "Oh my God! He's grinding his teeth! Ahhh! Stop grinding your teeth! How do you make a baby stop grinding their teeth!?" Bill just laughed & laughed. "I don't know". So, that's what I'm going to look into today & see if it's just a phase (which I'm sure it is) & if there's anything I need to look out for (like pieces of baby teeth laying around).

Other than that, he's still a champion eater & just started learning how to use a spoon this morning. It's going to take some time to get the hand-eye coordination down, but he completely understands that he's supposed to put food on it & eat from it.

He's now not just walking, but running. He tries to run so fast that he trips & does a face plant on the floor. Usually he's just so excited that the forehead to tile contact doesn't phase him. He does have a few red marks on the noggin though.

Since he's mastered his walking skills, he's finished with his "other skills" strike. For a while he refused to shake his head "no" & wave bye-bye. Skills that he learned some time ago, but I guess it was old news & walking was cooler. Now he's back to being like a little circus monkey, showing off all of his tricks.

He's getting better at fitting blocks into the shape sorter (through the correct shape slot) & is beginning to recognize pictures in his books. He is very fond of cats & dogs, but especially cats (or kitties, really). He smiles & has a high pitched squeal that sounds just like the one I make when I'm petting & playing with our cat. He's been trying to point to the picture of the cats in his book.

He loves, loves, loves, to throw all of his toys & binkies over the baby gate in the kitchen. We've even been playing "baby tennis" the last two days. He throws his toy over, I throw it back. He runs off to go grab it & throws it back over. This is usually going on while I'm unloading the dishwasher or cooking him a meal & he's "stuck" on the other side of the gate in the living room. It's way too cute.

Logan is also very loving. He's been so cuddly & frequently stops playing to run over to me & give me a hug & a kiss. It's the cutest thing ever. I love it! He's been giving hugs to Bill too (which he didn't used to do very often).

His vocabulary is getting there. He still babbles all day long & sings in the car, but he's definitely saying "Mamamama" & repeats it when asked if he can say "Mommy". We've been hearing "shhhh" a couple of times as well. It looks like language took a back seat to physical skills. I'm not surprised.

Logan has also been having a great time with the other kids in MOMS Club. We went to a meeting yesterday morning. While the moms were talking about various upcoming projects, Logan was being fed goldfish crackers by another little girl. She was sitting on a chair next to her mom & was giving Logan crackers. He would take them, shoving them all into his mouth. She then tried to hand feed him a few more. He was content to hang out over there with them while they were still able to share crackers. Once Logan was finished hogging all of her snacks, he promptly came walking back over to me, gave me a hug, then off to read a book. Without a doubt, he's having fun.

The next couple of weeks are going to be fun & busy planning Logan's birthday party. It's going to be a big day with lots of people & lots of things to do.

***Day three of National Delurking Week. Leave a note to say what your kids are up to & what first birthday's were like!***

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, my son grinds his teeth too, and it drives me bonkers. He'll go through phases with it, not doing it at all for several weeks and then all of a sudden it's non-stop. I've tried sticking my finger in his mouth to make him stop and telling him no, but it doesn't work. If you find something that works, let me know!

Anonymous said...

Bleh! Ava grinded her teeth too when her tops broke thru. I was the same way, constantly asking "how do you make your baby stop?!?!" But then she just stopped.. thankfully, b'cuz that is one sound I cannot handle!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Wow Logan is a smart baby!! Oops I mean toddler! OH no... can you believe that he's that old already? But these little boys we have will forever be our babies, whether they're 1 or 18. LOL!
James' first birthday party was pretty cool. We made it as low key and easy to manage as possible which means: didn't cook, ordered the food platters, low maintenance. Because the evening before I broke my toe and plus, James had a nasty cold. But! Despite his nasty cold (which was his first one ever..can't believe it still) he had a great time. He ate the cake like it was going outta style and loved, loved, loved! having everyone sing "Happy Birthday" to him. So, Logan's first birthday party will be a blast and just don't overdue yourself. People kept saying, "he won't remember this" but come on! Yeah, he won't, but so what. LOL

Anonymous said...

omg Kira grinds hers too!! It makes me cringe and shiver and it's just...ugh!! I try and distract her with something - anything - but that only works *sometimes*. :(

I am sooooo jealous he comes and gives you spontaneous loving! Kira went through a phase of that which lasted about three days. /sob You are SOOO lucky!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello again,
How are you doing ? Looks like you'll be preparing a party for Logan ! I was just wondering how your pug did when you brought Logan home from the hospital. Our pug is quite small and has tons of energy. She needs loads of attention. Did you have any advice for me when our little one will come home ? Take care and have fun with all the planning ! Deanna

Kristin said...

Deanna-
Buddha pretty much ignored Logan for about three months. We really didn't have to worry about anything, but then again, Buddha is "The Land Walrus" & doesn't need a lot of attention. He mostly likes to blend in with the furniture.

Now that Logan is older, they are good friends & play together.

Since we didn't have any problems, there wasn't anything special that we had to do. I remember a lesson in prenatal class that said to introduce pets to babies gradually & start with letting them smell blankets & clothing. We never did that though.

I'm not too much help here, but good luck & let me know how it goes :)

Erika said...

I looked it up and I'm just thinking Evan is playing with his new teeth, not that he's "tense" or "anxious"...and I don't really think he does it at night, but how would I really know!