Sunday, January 07, 2007

My little Rip Van Winkle
I guess I shouldn't be worried about this, as most parents fight to actually get their kids to sleep; but I'm wondering if Logan sleeps too much.

I'm thinking this sleeping marathon started as he was walking, so I always justified his three naps a day as wearing himself out. He sleeps through the night just fine, going to bed at 8 pm & waking up between 7 & 8 am. He needs a morning nap at 10 am & an afternoon nap at 1 or 2 pm. For a couple of weeks now, he's been taking a third nap at 5 or 6 pm. All of the naps last about an hour to two. All in all, I think he's getting a total of 15 hours of sleep (which now that I've done some research, is all normal. 12 month olds need about 14 hours of sleep a day).

I feel like a neurotic first time mom being concerned about this. Bill laughs & reminds me of our family sleeping motto: "If you're tired...sleep!" Logan really is tired at these times & I'm not just putting him down because that's the schedule. I wait until he gets fussy or yawning & rubbing his eyes. It's gotten to the point where Logan lays his head in my lap & closes his eyes. Today he took a pillow from the couch to lay down on it. Those are signals that can't get clearer than that. The kid is exhausted.

I guess the concern comes in because I hear about other kids his age dropping their morning naps & taking a long after lunch nap. I suppose if I stopped comparing his sleeping pattern to other kids, then it wouldn't be a problem. I would enjoy the three or four hours a day that I get to myself & maybe get an extra nap in as well. OK, I'm going to do just that. Lord knows I need some more sleep myself.

7 comments:

Jezer said...

Enjoy it! Actually, I can relate. My own 30-minute man has been napping much better lately and just today, he took a decent morning nap, a looooong afternoon nap, and then wanted to go to bed early. During the week he takes a midmorning, midafternoon, and late afternoon (that 4:30-5:30 nap right before dinner) nap, and is still ready for bed by 7:30 or so.

I'm with you, though. I think the walking and all the excitement that goes with it just poops the little dudes out. I'm not complaining, and I've been known to join in on the naps, too!

Anonymous said...

Definitely enjoy it! Ava often refuses naps all together and when she does take one I'm usually guaranteed only 30 minutes! In my books that's not even the length of a decent hot shower!

Anonymous said...

Definitely enjoy it!! Kira mostly still takes her morning nap around 10am (depending on when she wakes), and her afternoon nap anywhere from 1p-3pm. A few mornings she hasn't had her morning nap and has been okay - the days where she doesn't get her afternoon nap and she might as well be satan. Each nap lasts anywhere from an hour to two and a half hours, and then she goes down for bed between 730p and 8pm.

You've often remarked that he seems to sleep alot when he's about to achieve a really big milestone, (which I have taken your advice on actually and started paying to attention to Kira in that way, and you have been 100% right) so that's maybe what he's about to do. Fully fledged walking maybe? Scaling the kitchen walls possibly? ;)

Plus he's toddling about and that just tires them out so much. I love it when Kira has late sleeps - I just wish I could enjoy them with her!

Jake Silver said...

The most fun thing is reading your Blog and seeing how similar your thoughts are to mine and my wife's. Indeed, stop worrying about what other kids do. Sometimes Tate will take an additional nap at about 5pm and we just roll with it. He'll usually get up just long enough to have dinner and a bath and then back to bed about 7pm. Loved your videos below, too. and your little boy does seem really active, so he probably is just very sleepy.

Anonymous said...

All kids are different. My oldest would go to sleep at 6 or 7pm and not wake up until 9, 10, or 11. My 2nd child, no matter what time you put him to bed, he was up at 5 or 6 the next morning.Usually 5. As long as Logan is not falling asleep when he is walking or trying to climb,no fevers, other developement ok, he is fine. Babies do sleep more when they go through their growth spurts. You might want to ask Bill's parents and/or your parents what you were like when you were that age. Tendencies are inherited.
I say enjoy the extra time that you have 'cause it may not last long! -Ilene

Reesh said...

I worry the opposite way, that Lily isn't getting enough sleep! She gets maybe 10-10 1/2 hours of sleep at night and usually takes 2 45 minute naps during the day. And she still feeds at night! I totally compare her to other moms I know whose babies sleep 12 hours and no longer need to feed at night. I tell myself she is small and just very active, but I worry that she isn't getting enough sleep for sure. So it's good to know that I'd probably worry the other way, if she was more like Logan, too!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

It was great to see this post!! We over here have wondered if James was sleeping too much also (woe is us right?LOL). Everyone says that each kid is different and it must be the case. James is sometimes up only 8-9 hours out of the day because of all the sleep he gets. And lately (I hope no one hates me for this..lol) he's been going to bed near 9-9:30 and getting up at 10am!!! This only works because I'm still not working. So, basically, James will be up for about 3 hours in the first part of the day, take a loooong nap in the middle (about 3-4 hours if you can believe it..lol) and then is up 5-6 hours straight afterwards. With all of the new skills these babies/toddlers achieve which seems almost everyday, it's no wonder they're so tired.