Tuesday, January 09, 2007

For science nerds everywhere!
I've often talked about that I am in fact, a science nerd. My choices in literature are quite boring to the non-science nerd person. I like to read about facts. I like to learn something new if I have the time to read the book that's in my hand. I absolutely can not stand to read fiction, with the exception of a few Stephen King, Michael Crichton & the Harry Potter series (why, I don't know).

Bill does not share the same taste in literature. Although, he mostly likes non-fiction as well. He's more into autobiographies & memoirs. I can read these if they're interesting enough. He's become much more of a reader since Logan's birth (because we're at home a hell of a lot more?) & is constantly picking up new books from the library. There have been a few of his choices that have caught my attention, like all of Chuck Klosterman's books, "The Dirt", Motley Crew's memoirs & "Kitchen Confidential" by Chef Anthony Bourdain. There is one book that he picked up this weekend that took me by surprise. It's not something he would read, but something that totally fits my science nerd interest.

I found it, not knowing he got it. I've never heard of it either. I read the back of the book & then the inside covers. My jaw dropped. "What on Gods green Earth made him pick this up?", I thought to myself. It was "A Short History of Nearly Everything", by Bill Bryson. I asked him about it & he said that it was recommended by a lot of people. "This so doesn't seem like something you would read. I might have to read it with you. It reminds me of Dave C." I said.

Dave was a personal training client of mine when we lived in Portland. He was a martial artist that had trained with Monks in Tibet & all over Asia & was an extremely smart guy. We got together because he needed to strengthen his core & work on neuromuscular retraining for his back.

We hit it off in our first conversation before he started training. He was excited to get started because we had the same sense of humor & he was really impressed with my background in biophysics & my personal training techniques. We quickly became great friends.

In our sessions we would talk about nerdy science stuff. I felt like he was one of the only people on Earth that "got me" when it came to this. He was the only person that I could have conversations about quantum physics with (yes, I am that much of a nerd that I had long deep conversations about quantum physics). Bill & I don't have conversations like this because I would bore him to death. Dave & I would often work out together outside of sessions (lucky him, it was like getting free sessions) & go out for beers after work while I waited for Bill to get off. Together, we even developed training techniques that were specific to martial arts. It was pretty cool.

When Bill got his promotion that moved us out to Colorado, Dave was on vacation in China, then in New York. We moved so fast, that I never saw him again. It's sad. He was a great guy. Bill & I often wonder what he's up to now.

So, in memory of Dave, this is a book that I'm going to read. I have some extra time on my hands & would rather read about particle physics than clean the bathroom.

***It's also day 2 of National Delurking Week. If there are other science nerds reading, say Hi!***

No comments: