Tuesday, January 16, 2007

50 weeks old
The weekly count is starting to sound ridiculous. 50 weeks? Really???

The developments that have been happening are all very amusing. Logan is still a great sleeper & back down to two naps a day again. The funny part about his sleeping is listening to him play in his crib, talking (screaming) to himself & throwing all of his stuffed animals out. I usually wake up with a grin every morning listening to him play while I try to get an extra 15 minutes of sleep (this really never happens).

Meal times are changing a bit. His appetite is not as big as it used to be. I did some reading on toddler nutrition & evidently, this change is very normal. He's not really a picky eater, he eats a little less & he just likes to throw his food all over. His favorite is feeding the animals. When I'm sitting next to him eating my lunch or whatever, Logan tries to sneak Buddha some food. I stop mid-bite & give him "The Look". He looks at me with a straight face & shakes his head "no". It takes everything I have to be serious, because this is just way too funny. Logan clearly knows that he's not supposed to feed the dog. Last night while he finished his dinner, I left the room for a second. The next thing I know, I hear him laughing & giggling. I peer around the corner to see what was so funny. There he is, holding his empty bowl out while Kitty is sitting on the chair next to him. She would lick the left over sweet potato & chicken & he would just get so excited.

Play time is where developments are progressing the most. He still loves to read his books & now, when he wants me to read to him, he walks over & brings a book with him. We sit & read together, with him "reading" aloud along with me. He's figuring out how to put his wooden puzzles together. Bill's actually been working with him a lot on this. Bill will hold the puzzle piece over the spot where it fits & Logan will take his hand & push it down. He also knows the hand gestures to songs that I sing to him. This was a cute surprise this week. I was singing the "popcorn" song to him while I was changing his diaper. He got this huge smile on his face & started doing the "popcorn" hand gestures. I think I screamed, "Oh my God! Look at you! You're so smart!"

He started so say "Dada" this week. Although, he's still really stubborn about repeating words. He speaks when he wants to, which is infrequent.

He's still running (yes, running) around the house like a crazy person, doing laps back& forth & all around the living room. He tries to climb over boxes (we have an empty pampers box for him to play with) & loves to crawl & climb all over the couch. He figured out how to get behind the couch where I keep the really annoying toys (out of sight, out of mind...not so much anymore).

He knows where my belly button is. He's still learning that he has one too & so does Dad, but he knows exactly where mine is. It used to be cute, now it's kind of irritating. If I'm on the floor with him climbing on me, he instantly pulls my shirt up & sticks his finger in my belly button. "Yes, that's my belly button. Where's your's? OK, stop pinching & slapping my fat", is usually how the conversation goes.

Logan knows how to play with Buddha too. I'm still trying to get this on tape. Taking pictures or filming any kind of event is becoming increasingly difficult. The minute Logan sees a camera of any sort, he stops what he's doing & lunges for the shiny silver thing in Moms hand. I still try though, because I have to get this on tape. It's the funniest thing ever. Logan will hold Buddha's stuffed mouse & shake it back & forth right on, not in, Buddha's face. He laughing hard & so excited knowing that at any minute, Buddha is going to run around to play.

Play group is more fun every week as well. Logan is becoming more confidant being on his own exploring & running around with the other kids (thank GOD!). Yesterday we met some of the MOMS Clubbers at the mall play area. Logan ran around, crawled with some other kids, attempted to drink strangers coffee that they (stupidly) left on the ground, watched & tried to help another mom change her newborns' diaper & he even was brave enough to try to run out & escape the play area. I actually had to go running after him to bring him back. I think we're on the tail end of the separation anxiety phase. I'm so excited about this because now I can start putting him in the gym daycare while I go workout & not have to worry about him having a total melt down.

Next month we're going to add more activities to our schedule. We'll have our regular playgroup, then the in-laws want to pay for music playgroup (once a week for nine weeks) for his birthday. A lot of Logan's friends are starting gymnastics too. We get a great discount & it will be a fun way for him to burn off some energy, play with his friends & learn some new physical skills (like balancing, swinging, etc.). I want to keep us busy during the winter months so we're not inside glued to cartoons. While it's cute that he has favorite cartoons (Blues Clues is a new one) we're watching way too much TV. It started to get excessive when we were sick & snowed in, now it's just a habit. One that I'm breaking right now.

I'm starting to contemplate weaning Logan from breast feeding. I have mixed feeling about this though. We made it to our (my) goal of a year. I'm ready to have my body back. I'm ready to start working out like I used to. I'm really open to extended breast feeding, but I know if I start doing the things that I want to do, I will totally dry up. He's nursing three times a day. I cut out his mid afternoon snack nursing time to increase the volume for his dinner nursing time. I don't think it will be too difficult to start decreasing some of the other times. It's just a thought right now, I'm not sure if I'm ready to follow through yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL "stop playing with my fat" omg I am laughing so hard because that's what we say to Kira too! She doesn't care much for bellybuttons, but she adores regular buttons and somehow after she finds the button on our jeans, her fingers usually either go to the thigh fat area and slap it around, or the belly fat area and just poke it. LOL.

You are going to be so worn out with all your activites! You won't even need to go to the gym! It's so awesome you have all these things available for Logan - I have nothing like that in my area at all; not even a Mothers Club. The few I did manage to look into were completely snobbish and uppity and just not suited to us. You're so lucky. :)

Anonymous said...

Ava loves to pinch my belly while I'm nursing her. She rolls my skin & fat between her fingers.. I always say "yes, I know its there. Thank you for reminding me!"

jenn said...

I also breastfeed and I've been training for a half marathon in February. I haven't noticed any issues with "drying up" due to exercise (if that's what you meant in your post, maybe I read it wrong?) My son is only 3 weeks younger than yours and he nurses about every 4-5 hours. I'm in the process of cutting out one of the daytime feedings too. Good luck!

Kristin said...

Thanks Jenn. Drying up is exactly what I'm concerned about. That & the supplement program that I did while lifting too. That I absolutely can't do until Logan is finished nursing.

Kristin said...

Oh! I forgot to add...

Good luck in the marathon!