Friday, February 02, 2007

I need a makeover
I need this in so many ways. Recently I've been feeling like a frumpy house wife. Honestly, I know that it being winter has a lot to do with it. Logan & I have been getting out for playgroups every week (almost), but when it's zero degrees (like it is right now), I don't want to get out of my pajamas.

So, I don't get out of my pajamas & neither does Logan. Unless he gets food all over them, which he usually does. Then the days that we do get showered & dressed, I feel like I have nothing to wear. I throw clothes out of drawers & off of hangers searching for something warm & "not frumpy". I can still fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but they don't fit me. I bought those clothes when I had a six pack (or close to it) & if I was flashing my stomach...big deal. I worked hard for it & short shirts were fun to wear.

Not anymore. It really feels ridiculous, out of place & it's just not me. When did I become so conservative? I wear layers now. I always wear some kind of undershirt, usually a white tank that is long enough to cover any skin if I raise my arms & the shorter top layer rises up. For those of you who are LDS or have LDS family, I feel like I'm wearing garments. Garments!!!! By my own choice!!!!!

I know my overindulgence in the holiday baking has a lot to do with it. Bill & I have had cupcakes for breakfast the last two days. That accompanied by not leaving the house & not exercising, well, Thank God I still fit into my clothes.

Then there's my hair. I need to get it cut. Logan was three months old the last time I stepped foot into a salon. I'm back to the daily pony tail.

And then, my glasses. When we moved, I ran out of contacts & never got another supply. Now I need to get another exam. My glasses are old as dirt too. While I like the librarian style, it's time for an updated look.

I need to get into the dentist too. My daily morning coffee has done wonders for the stained teeth look. Yeah, gorgeous.

Wow. I sound like a total mess. Pajamas, out of shape, pony tail, glasses & coffee stained teeth. It's amazing that Bill's still married to me. Have I really let myself go?

For a while, Bill & I have been talking about me going back to work. Before he got his promotion, it was because I had to do it for our family. Now there's less pressure & I don't have to make "X" amount & it will be nice to have some extra money. This will solve some issues; going out & getting clothes that I like that suite my lifestyle, having some cash for the salon, teeth whitening & some new glasses/contacts & it gets my big butt back into shape again.

Bill is coming home today with his new work schedule. Then I'm going to figure out when I can get into the gym. I'm giving myself a month to get back into shape before I start training again. I've lost 30 pounds in two months before ( I was at 30% body fat. I'm probably right back there again) & I've also gained 10 pounds of muscle in one month too (I was at 17% body fat. Don't know if I want to go there again). 30 days is plenty of time to get back into "fighting shape". It also gives me some time to scope out the gym & start finding potential clients.

Logan is a year old & we are starting to wean from breast feeding. He's down to nursing at breakfast & dinner. Once he's completely weaned, I'll start taking my supplements again. That's when I'll do a detox fast as well. I used to do one every spring. Kind of like a spring cleaning for the body. It looks like I'm right on schedule.

You know what else needs a makeover? This blog. I guess since I'm going back to work, even if it is part time, am I still qualified to call myself a stay at home mom? I've been looking for different templates, but haven't found one that I like. If I don't find anything, I'll probably just add "The Toddler Edition" to the title. No worries though, it won't be password protected & I'm not going to change the URL. Any suggestions or opinions would be cool.

Holy crap, this is one crazy post.

9 comments:

Reesh said...

The Life and Times of a Colorado Family

The Life and Times of a Mommy a Daddy and a Logan

The Life and Times of Logan's Mommy

Well, that's all my tired brain can think of for now. Hopefully someone else's brain is working better.

Cheers,
Reesg

liz said...

Dude, I'm so with you on the makeover needing. So. With. You.

As for revamping: I'm always looking for a new look for my blog. I like clean and simple and I do love my two sidebars. But it's hard to find the time and the energy to look around. Renaming your blog? I like Reesh's suggestions... The Life and Times of Logan and His Mommy: Learning Something New Everyday.

Anonymous said...

One thing at a time. Haircut one paycheck, a few new clothes the next time... That's the way I've been doing it, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

I would really be interested to learn what is involved in a "detox". I was just telling Alissa yesterday how I have been in a funk for weeks and I almost feel like I need "rebooted".

Maybe I just need detoxed?

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

It's funny you were talking about the revamping since I had to do that with James' (old?..lol) blog. *sigh* He'll no longer be the only baby on there now! It's nuts! LOL Anywho, as for ideas as titles: I like all of the other suggestions given. My two favorite are "The Life and Times of a Colorado Family" and "...Learning Something New Everyday". Those are great! And so true!
And about the makeover thing...oh damn. I feel your pain. Do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better. Because ultimately it's so important even though us mommies forget that constantly. Go to a spa for the day! Get your hair "did" and all of that. You know you deserve it! Now, if only I can take my own advice. LOL

Canadian Mommy said...

Ah. LOL at the garments. I have actually been wearing mod bods as undershirts because I dont want an inch of skin showing.
I too am sporting the ponytail everyday.
I think when I hit my first goal of 20 lbs I'll do something. I almost feel on hold until I lose all 70, but I know I shouldn't.
I think all sahm's feel this way time to time.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to do a detox as well, I just have no idea how to go about it.

Once you think of a new tagline for your blog and you'd still like a new makeover, I'd love to help you. I am constantly designing and redesigning my own blog (going thru a transition atm with wordpress on mine not Kiras) and I'd love to do a new template for you. If you're into it, feel free to email me with some pictures or ideas you'd like - if not, I'll come up with a few designs and you can go thru them. Of course, I'm not promising anything in the next day or two, not with Kira's bday in 3 days. LOL.

Let me know if you're interested :D

Kristin said...

Erica- An email is on the way! I'm totally going to take you up on that offer :)

Then for Debra & Erica....The detox. The way I've done it for years:

Start with a water only fast for one-two days (depending on your health). Next day add vegetable & fruit juices only. Make sure these are 100% juice, no sugar added (that's really important). It works best if you juice your own foods.

Then each day add a new food group: Whole raw fruit one day, next day add whole raw or lightly steamed veggies, whole grains (no bleached or enriched grains) next, then eggs & healthy fats, dairy & protein, until you are back to eating a balanced diet again.

There's really no gimmick to this like other detox programs (where you drink lemon juice, syrup, etc).

It's just giving your body a break & slowly adding healthy foods back based on how easily digestible they are.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Yes, you can still call yourself a stay-at-home mom.


And for me, not that I'm promoting weaning or anything, but I really feel like my body held onto a fluffy outer "covering" until D was weaned. It just seemed easier to get the weight off after he weaned, which doesn't make sense.

My problem is that my kid just turned two and my abdominal wall is STILL split. I've done sit-ups while trying to mush the halves back together, but it's not looking good. At least you don't have that problem! :)

Good luck!