Sunday, February 11, 2007

Our first "date" as parents
Last night Bill & I went out on our first date since becoming parents. It was long overdue. We had a really great time eating delicious food & having a conversation that didn't include kids or work.

I had arranged a Valentines Day babysitting swap with another Mom in MOMS Club. She & her daughter are at playgroup every week & Logan knows them & is comfortable with them. We dropped Logan off at their house. It took him about 5 minutes to get comfortable while all of us parents chatted. As soon as he saw all of the toys, he couldn't care less about us leaving. We left with Logan distracted & not having an earth shattering meltdown.

Bill & I went to a nice Italian place that had been recommended by a whole lot of people. I had a glass of wine with my lobster ravioli & Bill raved about his stuffed manicotti. It was great. I told him about some of the questions in yesterday's post. It turns out that if we were to travel outside of the US, he would rather go to Japan than anywhere in Europe. Then we tried to count all of the celebrities that we've met.

"Let's see...There was John Stewart at the Rain Forest Cafe, Ice T at the House of Blues, Jay Z at the Hard Rock, Rosie O'Donnell at Rain at the Palms, Oh & don't you remember shoulder checking LeAnn Rimes?", Bill asked me.

"What!? I did What?! No, I don't remember that at all. Are you sure I did that? I shoulder checked her. Really???!!!", I gasped almost spitting out my ravioli.

"Obviously you don't remember, but yeah. You shoulder checked her at the Hard Rock. We were walking between Mr. Lucky's & the hallway to the parking garage. It was pretty funny".

I have absolutely no recollection of this at all. Otherwise I would've posted about that instead of meeting John Stewart. I told Bill that he better be prepared to take care of me when I have alzheimer's, because I clearly don't remember the majority of my life. "That's OK. I remember for you", he said.

I also told him that with shoulder checking a celebrity, getting in trouble with the police in my early teens & living a mostly illegal life in my early 20's, I sound like a complete criminal. That made him laugh, which made me feel better. I guess if I was a hoodlum, he wouldn't think it's funny.

After having a good laugh & getting completely stuffed, we didn't have room for desert. We decided to go pick something up to take home. We were going to walk around downtown, but it was way too cold. So, we picked up some sweet treats & left to go pick up Logan.

We got to their house & I turned to Bill, "I don't hear any screaming. That must be a good thing". We knocked on the door & my friend answered. We stood in the entryway talking about how they all had a good time. After a while, Logan came walking around the corner with a ball in his hands. It was really cute to see the look on his face when he saw us there.

Apparently, Logan didn't know that we were gone for about five minutes after we left. Then he was confused & started looking for us around the house. He played with his friends toys & they fought over a ball. It looks like we need to start learning about sharing. They had dinner & my friend was surprised at how much he eats. I think she said that he ate a half of a cup of vegetables (which kind of sounds light compared to some times at home). She said that he was really good & really quiet, but the two kids play very well together. I was ecstatic to hear that everything went so well. Logan's first babysitting experience was a success!

We said our good bye's & many, many thank you's & we drove home with Logan falling asleep in the car. I got Logan to bed, then Bill & I stayed up late to eat out dessert & drink a couple of martini's. We had a lot of fun winding down, talking about what a great night it was.

We're definitely going to make sure we go out & have a date night at least once a month. I can't believe it took us this long to make it happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so awesome and seems like it was such a great night!! We haven't had "date night" in ... well, forever. Actually, aside from the few nights we've spent away from Kira (anniversaries, etc) we haven't even had a date night! I'm so glad you guys had an outstanding time - definitely going to try and score me one of those sometime!

Erin said...

That sounds like such a good night! We haven't had a "date night" since the honeymoon when Miss H was a few months old, and that was more like taking a couple days to catch up on sleep LOL...we've been craving a date night as well. Glad you all had such a good time and the babysitting experience went so well!

liz said...

Sounds like a wonderful night.

Like Erica, aside from a few nights, we really haven't had a date in ages.

Some of the moms in my circle of friends have invited me into a babysitting coop. We pay each other in poker chips. Tomorrow night, I'm sitting for our little friend Abby. Then on Saturday, our friend Marcia will come and stay with Henry while The Mistah and I go out for dinner.

Wahoo!

Glad Logan was such a good boy, too. Sure makes future dates a lot easier to think about, huh?

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Date night is a MUST. And way cheaper than couples counseling. :)