Friday, February 23, 2007

I think it's over
It's been a full week of Logan being completely weaned from breast feeding. We were nursing once a day for quite a while. When I stopped, I was uncomfortable & engorged on the second day. Logan nursed on one side (the side that was the fullest) & I haven't had any problems since. Logan seems to be OK about it too.

He's a little more fussy, but it's because there's been a lot going on. He's had a cold for a few days & I've been trying to work as much as I can during the week so when Bill has a day off on Saturday, we can have quality family time. He gets a little irritated sometimes, so we go off & read books, chase him with his stuffed animals, point to things around the house & learn about parts of the body. Then he's OK. Probably not the best time to completely stop, but it's been bearable.

He hasn't been pulling on my shirt too much & he's happy to drink his milk from his special milk sippy cup. Although, he still prefers water. Overall, I think it's been a successful process.

I'm a little sad about it, but not really. It's actually a feeling of relief. Don't get me wrong, I loved nursing & for us, it was really easy. We were very, very lucky. But, I was ready to have my body back. I just had this feeling inside that we were finished. I can't explain it, but it just felt different. It was over. I think I'm still trying to process how I feel about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way when I weaned. I'd planned to wean a few days earlier but just couldn't on that day. It wasn't right yet. Two more days, though, and then it was. I probably just needed a little more time to get used to the idea. Of course, it could have also been my body saying it was time to quit because it was already preparing for a new little one...

Anyway, congrats on the milestone. I'm glad to hear you've both adjusted fine.

Anonymous said...

Some days I think I'm ready to start weaning - even though my goal was 18 months. It was SO hard in the beginning for us. For some reason I'm afraid I'll feel like a failure or a quitter if I stop now, even though she's been BF'ing sucessfully for almost 14 months. Silly, huh?

liz said...

The emotions tied with breastfeeding are really pretty interesting.
For me, we had such a difficult time. So when Henry self-weaned, I felt even more a failure.
But at the same time? I could have my coffee again, I could have a 2nd (or 3rd!) glass of wine. I did have my body back. And after the grief was comfort.
You should be So. Proud. Of. Yourself. for nursing for so long. Whenever you feel a little twinge of sad, just look at your boy--he's thriving!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Good for you guys for going a year with it!!! That's awesome!!! And just think, because of that look how healthy and wonderful he's doing! That's something that will take him through the rest of his long life. ;) Kudos!

Jezer said...

Al hasn't yet completely weaned, but we're gradually working toward that end. It is a little sad, but also a little exciting to think that for the first time in two years, my body will be all mine again. There is a sense of "I'm free!" tied to weaning, and I think this joy for ourselves often feeds that neverending mommy-guilt.

Good for you for going so long and for being able to wean when you and Logan were ready.