Friday, December 22, 2006

Regression
Not only does the flu make you sick for a week, but it screws up a kids schedule...BIG TIME. Logan is having a hard time with his sleep schedule. He went to bed as usual at 8 pm, then woke up & cried for half an hour at midnight, 3 am, 6 am & 7 am. He was playing the part of Mr. Fussy Fuss all day & will receive an Oscar for his performance. It got to the point where I had to leave him crying in the living room so I could gather myself & take a breather. I took a shower. For 30 minutes. He was still crying when I got out. He cried for two hours straight as well.

He throws most of his food on the floor leaving Buddha to eat it. Logan has lost some weight this week ( I don't know how much, he's just much lighter & his clothes don't fit anymore) because of being sick & I'm kind of freaking out inside that our Pug is getting the nutritional benefits of the food rather than our son. We've gone back to a rigorous nursing schedule again. Every three hours. At least he's getting something.

He's fine if he's sitting on my lap cuddled up to watch T.V. That's all fine & dandy when we're snowbound & sick, but it's starting to feel like too much right now.

I'm not sure if this is the after effect of the flu or maybe he's going through some serious teething. He may also have an ear infection. He's tugged at one side a few times. It's not red & it looks normal though.

I hope that this only lasts a few more days (at the most!) because it feels like our nice little groove is gone. It took some time to get the flow going. I want it back for all of our sanity.

4 comments:

liz said...

For us, it took another week or so just to get back to "normal."
Also, the ear tugging--I've taken H. to the pediatrician three times now to have his ears checked. Each time, ears were all clear (!!!) but they say it's a teething thing, too.
Still, if you're worried, have them checked.
The weight loss is crazy. A pound or two on us is nothing--but for a baby, it's so noticeable. Henry lost about 2 pounds with the stomach virus. I wish I could say the same for myself.
We started solids with him again with cereal and bananas (especially if there's a great deal of pooping going around...) After a few days of bananas, we re-introduced foods.
Regardless: I hope you all are right as rain, and just in time for Logan's first Christmas. And a white Christmas, indeed!
Happy and Merry from our family to yours.

Anonymous said...

Aww girlie....I hope everything gets back to normal very very soon.

The ear pulling thing sounds very much like normal teething ache. Kira is forever yanking on her ears (one or the other, sometimes both) when her mouth is particularly sore. We use baby panadol (it's like tylenol but not as harsh) and teething gel for the really bad days; within half an hour she's fine and perky and back to her normal self.

Hopefully you all will have a fantastic christmas regardless, and Logan will be back on track in no time. :D

Anonymous said...

Ava tugged on her one ear when she was teething as well. I took her in to see the pedi just in case but he said she was all clear! That's probably all it is, hopefully anyway! This teething stage bites and I hope it passes quicly for you!!

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! After my baby was sick with the flu, I re-introduced her back to bannas, apple sauce, rice and toast. My Dr. said those foods are especially easy on the stomach. Lots of fluids too - unless they can't keep it down.
As for teething, try freezing a teething ring or a bagel for him to chew on. Also if you don't like to use over-the counter pain relievers for his gums, rubbing oil of cloves on his gums will help.