Thursday, July 06, 2006

22 weeks old & keeping me on my toes
It seems like ever since we've been home from vacation, Logan has made tremendous growth. He knows how to drink from a cup (but haven't given him one since we've been back). He unties shoelaces. He can sit up & play by himself. He likes to play the keyboard. He keeps trying to crawl by creeping. He rolled down the stairs & didn't cry much about it. He's ready to eat solids & really loves to eat. The new developments this week are growing curiosity & the beginning of sign language.

Logan has more interest in his toys now. He throws them to see what happens & he's starting to understand how to play with his interactive toys that sing & play games. He makes choices on what toys he wants to play with. I'll sit & play with him on the floor, bringing three or four different toys with. He'll play with one for a minute, then choose another. He rotates between all of them. It's pretty cute. He knows that I keep all of his toys in his toy box too. When he's rolling around on the floor, he'll often roll over to the toy box & try to pull it over. I'll sit him up in front of it & watch him dig through all of his treasures.

He's starting sign language, purely by accident. I've been meaning to sit down with him to teach him baby signs for quite sometime now. I've held off thinking that he's already learning so many new things, I didn't want to overwhelm him. It's suggested that parents start teaching their babies sign language between 6 & 9 months, so I wasn't too worried about holding off.

The other day while Bill & I were on the floor playing with him, he was on his stomach & started to pat the floor with his right hand. "He's telling you to come here", I jokingly said to Bill. This new action caught my attention & I watched him close when he did it. He really is telling us to "come here". It's the same motion I make when I call Kitty or Buddha over to play. I pat my leg or the floor & say "come here". Logan will make the same motion when he wants me or Bill to come over & he makes the same motion to his toys when he can't reach them. I was amazed & very proud of my little smarty pants.

8 comments:

Reesh said...

I think Logan is the smartest kid on the blog block. Everytime I read your blog I am totally amazed at what Logan can do already and I can't help but think that you must be a fantastic mom!!

I wanted to ask you, after Logan had a bit of non breast milk food did he poop? Just wondering cause Lily is still not pooping and as you and I have read it's okay cause her body is just absorbing every last stich of it, but if Logan pooped, then maybe I should start feeding her solids cause maybe her body needs more? Let me know...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Reesh! He is SO smart, it's so amazing and wonderful! And just think what a tremendous help he will be if/when you end up having another one :)

Kristin said...

Reesh-
Logan did get a little action in the diaper after eating the graham cracker. It was the smallest amount, but it was something. He's had a lot more gas though (but it's not bothering him...at least I don't think it is).

Anonymous said...

Ah, 22 weeks old and already ordering you around. He's a pistol, that's for sure!

He's too cute. Really. You're very lucky.

Jack's Mommy said...

I agree with Reesh too! He seems so advanced for his age which is a sign that you are doing a great job! And he's always so happy in his pictures :-)

Jezer said...

Smartypants, indeed! You should take great pride in the wonderful job you're doing to promote his all-around development. I'm sure he got some pretty fantastic genes, too. I usually gauge our progress on Logan's--if Logan did it last week, Al will probably do it next week (and Al's a few weeks OLDER!)!

liz said...

Reesh said it. I'm always so impressed with Logan's development. And as a Mom, I compare my child with everyone elses. Logan's a piece older than Henry, but I keep comparing Henry's milestones with Logan's. I keep thinking, "when Henry's Logan's age..."
You should be very proud of yourself, your husband, and your son. You're doing an amazing job.

Anth said...

Wow that is amazing! He really must watch you like a hawk. How cute that he tries to tell his toys to come here.