Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Score!
For the last few days, I've been looking for a high chair for Logan. My mommy instincts (is that like having spidey senses?) tell me that he's close to eating solids...that & his Doctor & I talked about starting him at 6 month or later. So, it's almost time.

Before Logan was born, I looked at every piece of baby furniture made. I found really cute bedroom sets that were outrageously priced & decided against buying him something like that since he would only use it for a short period of time. I ended up buying an inexpensive convertible set for a little over $100. The changing table, dresser & crib/toddler bed/twin bed all came together. I was actually very proud of this purchase & it happens that my sister who is due in November is going to get the same set.

Finding a high chair wasn't as easy. A plastic chair just isn't my style, no matter how easy it is to clean. The chair that I found & really wanted was the Svan chair. Just like bedroom sets I found, it would cost an arm & a leg at $235, even on ebay. I've been saving up for this chair for months, justifying the price because of it's style & practicality.

Since the beginning of the week, I've been mulling over this potential purchase in my mind. Is it really worth it? We would be able to use it for a lifetime because it starts out as an infant seat, then a toddler chair & then an adult chair that can hold up to 250 lbs. Plus it looks nice, so I would want to have it around for that long too. But wow. That's one expensive piece of baby furniture. Could we afford it, especially right now?

As I was calling around town doing some price comparison shopping, I hit the jack pot. There was a store way across town that had a 40% off sale & would extend the sale over the weekend for me. We picked it up yesterday morning for the reasonable cost of $129. I still can't believe it. Now Logan can eat his organic rice cereal & home made baby food in Scandinavian style.

4 comments:

Jezer said...

OK, I'm totally feeling like Britney here as I feed my boy jarred, not-even-close-to-organic food in his cheap-ass plastic highchair.

But really? The Sven is way cool and what a great deal you got on it. I think you'll be very happy you bought it.

Kristin said...

I'm just a total hippy. I love the farmers markets (can't wait to move to be closer to one) & when we buy our next house, I've already told Bill that I'm planting a garden. I'm such a food dork, that I even made my dogs home made dog food when they were puppies.

liz said...

God, that's a sexy highchair.
I'd like to think I'll be an organic rice and homemade food kind of Mom, but I'm not convinced I'll have the patience.
Good for you for, though. And YAY for finding such a GREAT deal.

Canadian Mommy said...

I love that chair too! I wish I could have found a deal like that, then maybe I would have gotten one too!