Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Gaining independence on independence day.
It wasn't that spectacular of an independence day over here, in the way of explosives that is. Colorado is in the beginning of the monsoon season. It's been crazy enough that we've had "sideways" rain coming down in sheets.

This morning Logan sat in his new high chair for the first time while he watched me clean the kitchen. He's growing up to be quite a curious little man. I gave him one of his crunchy books & a binky while I started to wipe down the counters. The minute I turn my back he throws them on the floor. This cycle repeats for oh, say One MILLION times. He wanted to see what the book would do, but more interestingly, what I would do. I guess I held up to his standards because he never cried. He just threw his toys everywhere. I suppose that makes me a sucker.
Bill came home from work & we waited for it to get dark enough for us to light off some fireworks. We sat in the driveway & watched a couple of smoke bombs (lame) & came inside to eat dinner. Now that Logan has a place at the table, we're actually eating there again. It's been since the pregnancy since we've had dinner at the table. Mostly because my stomach was too big to eat in front of the TV. It was a nice change though & I missed it.

As we were sitting there, Bill turns to Logan. "Do you want a cracker?" offering him a Ritz. "Not one of those crackers. I think we have some graham crackers though", I said. I only said this thinking that Logan would just gum it & try to suck on it. Bill gave him a small cracker & the kid was shoving it into his mouth & taking out big chunks. He was eating it. For real! Remembering that Ashley had talked about graham crackers mashed in juice, I got a little bit made up for him to eat.

Holy crap, did this boy like to eat. He was trying to feed himself & leaned in for every bite. He still tries to chew his tongue (a sign of teething, I'm sure), but really didn't spit it out everywhere. Bill & I took turns feeding him & laughing at the mess he made. We were both surprised at how "grown up" Logan is becoming.
After dinner we all went outside to start our little firework show & bam. Rain. What a bummer. Hopefully we'll be able to try again tonight. In the mean time, I'm researching baby feeding books. A while back Reesh recommended Super Baby Foods. I'm also going to schedule Logans' six month check up with his Doctor & talk to her about his new milestone. I'm going to hold off on "officially" starting him until then, but I know he's ready.

5 comments:

the boyd girls.... said...

I have that book , and I really like it. I still make some of Carolines food (when I have time) and that book is great at telling you when you should start different things. That is too funny about his eating. Caroline loves to eat and so far has liked everything I have given her...yeah, hopefully she won't be a picky eater!

Unknown said...

Look how cute that high chair is! And his eyes... oh my! You have such a beautiful boy.

liz said...

eubcnbbThat's a mighty fine highchair you got yerself. And that little boy is A-dorable. How exciting!

Ashley said...

Glad you were able to get the chair you wanted, and glad that Logan liked the graham cracker. The toys on the floor, does that about drive you bonkers? I know it's a necessary stage of development, but EVERY toy is dropped, repeatedly, on the floor, in our house.

Anonymous said...

He's so gorgeous and I love the high chair! He looks like he's going to really enjoy eating solids too!