Saturday, July 01, 2006

More milestones & first bruises.
Now that we're back from vacation, Logan decided it was time to go back to "work". He's been trying his hardest to crawl again. He has been able to inch worm a bit & as of yesterday, he gets up on his knees & elbows to rock back & forth. I think he'll have it down in about 3 weeks (or maybe sooner).

He can sit up all by himself too! He has to have help getting up, but today he played for a good 15-20 minutes sitting alone. He tried to sit by himself a few times in the last couple of days & the end result was a bruise on his forehead. He was sitting up on the changing table as I was getting a shirt on him & he fell forward, straight smack into the railing. Then he was sitting on my lap while I was checking my email & did the same thing, face first on to the computer desk. These are the first of many bruises to come for this little boy. I can't imagine what's going to happen when he starts walking.
We've had a few sleepless nights since we've been back. It started on Thursday night. At about 1 or 2 am, he screams like his toenails are getting ripped off. It seems there's nothing that I can do to soothe him. I gave in & fed him & it didn't help. Last night he did the same thing. I didn't feed him, thinking that he ate at 11:30 pm & should be ok. He cried off & on from 2:00 am until 4:30 this morning. The crazy thing is it's only happening at night. He's great during the rest of the day. I know when babies are working on a physical milestone, like crawling & sitting up, their minds can keep them up at night. They can also get muscle soreness & then he may need more calories to sustain his activity level. So, I'm not sure if it's a reaction to the disrupted schedule from vacation, or any of the above. If it's calories, I was hoping to start solids next month. I can either nurse him more often (every 2 hours instead of 3 & start feeding in the middle of the night again), or I can start giving him rice cereal before bed. I think I'm going to see how things go the rest of the week & see if it's a pattern.

3 comments:

Jezer said...

OH, if ONLY my Al would sit on his own...we practice several times a day, and he's almost got it, but not quite. However, he's quite mobile. I was hoping that I'd have a window of time when I could sit him down on the floor to play before he started crawling. Heh...the best laid plans.

Is Logan by chance teething? We've had some sleepless nights (and craaaaanky afternoons) off and on around here because of achy gums. Not so much fun.

Anonymous said...

He's just adorable!! I love his little piano thingy. Does he play with it alot?

Kira tries to sit up but doesn't quite make it and ends up kissing her feet. Or the floor infront of her feet. And then inevitably rolls onto her belly scrunching her nose in the process.

Kristin said...

You know, it's hard to say with teething. His gums aren't swollen, no fever or runny stool either. He does drool & chew on everything though. So maybe he's just beginning?

And yes, he loves his little keyboard. It's part of a convertable play gym that his grandma bought for him when he was a couple of months old. He would lay on his back & swat at the toys that dangled down (this made the gym light up & play music). Once he started to do pull ups with the toys & rip them off, I decided it was time to move up in the next stage. The keyboard. When he starts to walk, it turns into a rocking horse kind of thing.