Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Officially starting solids.
At first when I was thinking about starting Logan on solids, I wanted to wait until his sixth month Doctors appointment. It looks like we won't be able to get in until sometime next month. After some reading on giving solids, there seems to be a small window to work in.

If you feed them too early, you increase the risk of food allergies. We're bad enough as it is in that department, thus wanting to wait. But, then I read if you start feeding them after six months, you increase the risk of developing Type-1 diabetes by 4 to 7 times (depending on which research article you read). Since Logan has been tested & found to carry the gene that increases his risk of Type-1 already, this caught my attention. I also read that by six months, the iron stores in babies bodies are depleted, increasing the risk of anemia & they need more vitamin D (So do I sound like a neurotic first time mom, or what?!).

We're right in the middle of this window of opportunity. This morning was the first time Logan had rice cereal for breakfast. I nursed him first & waited for Bill to wake up. Then we got Logan ready to eat. Bill mixed up his cereal with water, because I still hate pumping & I really don't want to go buy formula. We took turns feeding him again. Logan was more interested in the bowl & trying to feed himself with the spoon, rather than the food. He did eat & did ok, but I can tell it's going to take a little bit of practice. He didn't eat all of it, but did give us an idea that he was finished. I got him cleaned up & he sat with us at the table while Bill & I had our breakfast & coffee. It was fun having breakfast at the table as a family.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay cereal!

I HATE pumping as well (I had to do it the entire 1st month of Ava's life because she couldn't latch on.. I was sure glad when she finally learned!)

I just expressed some w/ my hand. It was easy because at first they don't eat a lot and so you don't need a lot of milk, and I thought it would taste better for her then mixed with water. You can also use a some juice, like Gerber's apple or pear juice.

Anonymous said...

I guess I should somewhat introduce myself, as I have been leaving you comments the last month or so! I'm Angie, my daughter's Ava and she was born 12-29-05 (3 weeks early). I love reading your blog.. you are great at expressing yourself and you have an adorable family!

Ashley said...

Yay for foods! I agree with the other poster, juice seems to make the cereal tastier.

Corinne said...

what a cute guy!!!!

Kristin said...

Hey Angie, Thanks for the introduction :) Ava is way cute. I love her name too. If Logan was going to be a girl, that's what I wanted the name to be. It's so great to meet the moms & kiddos that read the blog!

I'm going to use juice for the next mix & I'm going to get Hylands tablets too. Thanks everyone!