Tuesday, September 26, 2006

34 weeks
Logan has been doing a lot of new things lately. He crawls so fast, it's like a sprint. And he does it every where. He likes to race me to the kitchen when he knows that I would like him to stay in the living room. He did it this morning while I was trying to get the dishwasher unloaded. I'm beginning to understand the phrase "pick your battles". I let him stay in there with me & climb on the dishwasher. At least it was clean. He also likes to climb over my legs while I play with him on the floor. He'll go back & forth, sometimes either getting stuck or tired & he'll just lay there across my lap. He loves it when I rub his back then.

He pulls himself up on to every thing as well. He likes to pull himself up on his walker to play with the toys rather than actually being in the walker. He hasn't figured out how to get down, so he stands until his legs get tired & they slowly slide into the splits. He's a little hysterical at this point, so I have to pick him up & sit him down. This morning while we were on the floor playing with his toys, he kept pulling himself up on me. A few times he let go to stand by himself. He stands for only a brief second, but I can believe he's trying to do this already.

He was standing in the kitchen by his high chair & the railing yesterday. He walked from the rail to his chair, still holding on. He actually took a few steps! By himself!! I was amazed. He did this twice last night. Crawling probably isn't going to be a very long stage in our house.

He stands by the stairs, trying his best to climb them. Bill has been teaching him to climb. I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. It's like we're asking for trouble, but oh well. That's what Dads do best. Teach their boys to get into trouble.

He's been a little weird the last couple of days. He likes to sit & bounce his head off of whatever is behind him. The wall, the kitchen garbage can, the front door, the couch. He just sits there & knocks the back of his head into stuff. It's obviously not hurting him & he's just learning about movement & reactions. But it's still a little funny to look over & see him bouncing his head off of whatever.

We finally started actively working on baby signs. I found a DVD at the library that teaches babies ASL rather than made up signs. I like this idea better. It's a skill that he'll be able to use for the rest of his life. In the morning after breakfast, play time & a diaper change, we sit on the couch & watch the DVD together. He loves it. He watches the T.V., then looks at me repeating the signs & smiles when I make him do the same. It's really fun for the both of us.

Logan learned how to smack his lips this week too. We went to the store to grab some ingredients for dinner. I carried him in rather than strapping him into a cart. As we're walking through the isles, he keeps smacking his lips & making all sorts of sounds. It was really funny. What's even more funny is that he's not doing it again!

Then the most adorable new skill this week is the new smile. I don't know where or how he learned how to do this, but it's the cutest. Smile. Ever. He gets a cheesy grin on his face & wrinkles or scrunches up his nose. It makes me laugh so hard. He does this all of the time now. Especially when he's having a really good time or when he's particularly proud of himself for doing something, like climbing the stairs. Or if he thinks he's just being really cute. Which of course, he is.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Awww, he looks so cute all bundled up. I love the cheesy smile, P does that too and it always makes me laugh.

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

what a picture!! Is it possible for him to get even cuter??? I don't think so. He's so adorable. And so happy. ;)
I also wanted to tell ya, ..actually first thank you for starting that "what's bill cooking for dinner" link. I tried to click on it and it didn't work. :( Obviously, no rush though. You guys have a fast baby to catch!! LOL

Anonymous said...

That picture is CUTE! I love scrunched nose smiles!

Ava bangs her head on stuff too.. she does it all the time in her highchair, and when I am holding her.. she bangs right against my chest, sometimes catching my chin, which hurts me although it doesn't even seem to phase her.

I think learning to climb the stairs is good, but most importantly learning how to climb down them. We don't have stairs but I've been working with Ava on how to "slide" off the couch, so she learns not to hurt herself.

You'll love it when Logan learns to sit from a stand. Ava holds on to the table, lowers herself ever so slowly until she reaches a point she feels safe, and then lets go. It's so stink'n adorable!

Anonymous said...

He's really growing! That's an adorable smile he's got going there.

By all means, teach the boy to climb. Teach him to slide down the steps, too. Better that he has the ability than for him to think he does and fall.

liz said...

that IS a cute smile!
and what a big boy!

Kristin said...

Dawn
Yeah, it's going to take a little bit of time to get that up & going. The links that don't work are the ones that I don't have a recipe to link to. Bill does his own concoctions a lot of the time.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Love the scrunchy smiles. They slay me every time!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Love the scrunchy smiles. They slay me every time!

Don't worry that he'll necessarily walk soon, esp. if he's crawling well. My friends' kids were crawling at 6 mos and D didn't till almost 9 but they all started walking at the same time! :)