Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I thought nutritional planning for adults was time consuming
Logan is coming up on his eighth month this next week. His nutritional needs are changing drastically. He's now ready to eat protein & he'll need larger portion sizes to accommodate his new skills & activity.

We still haven't been able to get him in for his sixth month check up at the doctor because of insurance problems, or incompetence really. It looks like we're going to skip the sixth month & go in for the ninth month. I have yet to talk to his pediatrician about solids.

I wasn't too bent out of shape about it. Figuring it out for the sixth & seventh month was pretty easy. Logan loved all of his foods & other than balancing acidic fruits that caused more diaper rash, there weren't any problems.

I sat down yesterday to figure out his plan for the next month or so. It took me a little bit of time to balance it all out & convert measurements. I remember thinking, "Man, if I haven't had done this before, I wouldn't know what to do". It was easy to see how some kids don't get a balanced diet at home.

This is what a day will look like:
He nurses before every meal & one time in the early morning
Breakfast- 3 TBS cereal, 2 TBS Fruit, 1 TBS Protein
Lunch- 3 TBS cereal, 2 TBS Fruit, 2 TBS Vegetable
Snack- 2 TBS Fruit, 2 TBS Vegetable
Dinner- 2 TBS Vegetable, 1 TBS Protein

I'm going to wait a few more months before giving him cheeses because of the milk reaction a couple months back. I'm not going to regularly give him juice either. Maybe once a week or so. It's just not that nutritious. We've decided that we'll give him finger foods when we start seeing teeth, even though he can pick it up just fine. We tried giving him some puffs & he's not quite ready yet. We've been practicing drinking out of a sippy cup, but he would rather try to drink out of it like a regular cup. He ends up chewing on the nub if we don't take the lid off.

It looks like this next month is going to be a lot a fun & full of really good food!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you put so much thought into it! That's great! I just kinda put foods in front of my kids, and if they ate them, great. If not, oh well. #1 had some baby food, but not much. #2, I never bought a jar of baby food.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting your little meal planner up here. I've been going crazy about the protein thing with Kira's food for awhile now, and only recently we've introduced lentils and vege. We're not ready to put her onto meats just yet, but I am wondering what kind of protein you're going to be giving Logan? Or what you're thinking of giving him? Especially for breakfast.

Kristin said...

I'm still making all home made baby food for him. I have a huge list of foods that he's had.

I'm thinking about starting with egg yolk. Eggs are the highest source of protein, so it makes sense to me.

I bought some barley for a new cereal & green lentil to try too. I'll start chicken & beef each week after the egg.

Breakfast is oatmeal with banana. This is by far his favorite. I pretty much always make oatmeal, but I'll change up the fruit. His new breakfast will be the same & I'll just add hard boiled egg yolk. I'm still debating scrambled egg yolk. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who pays so much attention to this sort of thing! It's a bit intimidating sometimes. When you breastfeed before a meal, do you do it *right* before or like an hour or so before the meal? I'm always afraid if I don't put some time between the two that he'll be too full to eat food.

My son, Miles, is only 3 weeks behind yours. I love reading your blog!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Best book ever on baby nutrition is Super Baby food--even for me, and my mom is a ped. nutritionist.

Good luck with solids! Pretty soon he'll be eating more than you for breakfast! :)

Anonymous said...

It's awesome how much thought you put into what goes into Logan's little belly :) It's definitely important to give them a proper head start on nutrition!

I don't give Ava a lot of juice either, and when I do I dilute it with water.

Kristin said...

Jenn-
Hi! I'm glad to meet another blogging mom!
I nurse Logan right before I feed him solids. Sometimes we get distracted & 30 minutes or more go by in between, but it's not on purpose. He has yet to get too full & turn down another bite! I wouldn't be too concerned if he did, just because breast milk is his primary source of nutrition until he turns 1.