Saturday, September 09, 2006

I've been possessed. That's the only explanation for my behavior this morning.
Last night Logan decided that he wanted to crawl around the entire house. Before, he was pretty content on the carpet in the living room or on the edge of the tile in the entry way. He never ventured very far from that. Then last night he went into the kitchen. We put up the baby gate on the stairs to the garden level. I learned my lesson about stairs last time.

The whole time Logan is crawling around & exploring parts of the house he's never explored before, I was thinking about germs. The germs that the animals have been tracking around while going in & out of the house. The germs on our shoes that we took off while standing on the tile. The germs on the garbage can & behind it. I felt like I had a complex.

This morning Logan woke us up pretty early. We started our day at 7 am. We hung out in bed & cuddled for a little while. Bill made coffee & played with Logan while I started to clean the house. I started cleaning at 8:30 am. I just finished & it's 2:30 pm. Five solid hours of scrubbing every nook & cranny in the house. Every place that little fingers can reach. There wasn't a square inch of the house untouched or unsanitized.

Bill sat on the couch with Logan. "You know, it's good for babies to be exposed to germs. It strengthens their immune system". I look up & catch my breath for a minute. "Yeah, but I want to feel like we're living in a bubble. Logan's never been sick & I don't want him to stick dirty hands & fingers in his mouth. I think we're going to need another bottle of hand sanitizer down here in the kitchen. I'm going to start washing his hands before he eats now".

Bill just laughed & had a good time playing with Logan all day. Me on the other hand...I'm dead tired. I think this has been my work out for the day. It feels great not to worry about where Logan is going to crawl to & what he's going to get his fingers in though. My cleaning schedule has increased from one day a week to three. I think I'm going to need a maids outfit or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Bill is right. They can never build up a resistance to germs if they are never exposed to them. He might stay healthy until he goes to school, but watch out then!

I did the same thing when Drew started crawling. Nick, however, actually sat in a sand pile and put the sand in his mouth, and I just laughed as I removed it. Well, most of it!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to side with Bill on this one too. :)

Kira has never been sick a day in her life, and I have never sanitized my floors or anything. They do need to be exposed to germs to build up a resistance to them, so don't feel you have to work that hard at cleaning *all* the time. :)

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

You gotta do what you feel you gotta do. Once he starts getting into absolutely everything, though, you might not feel like you have the time/energy to keep up with the house -sanitizing, so just remember--he'll be fine! My mom says babies have to eat a pound of dirt by the time they're two. Let's just say that won't be a problem around here, LOL.