Monday, October 23, 2006

Starting finger foods
And can I say...I'm scared to death about it? I'm petrified that he's going to choke on something, especially since he's still all gums. He may be that way for the rest of the year, but it's time that he start learning how to feed himself.

A couple months back, we gave him some Gerber Puffs. He was a bit too young & we decided to wait a little longer. He just wasn't ready. Well, now he is. We tried the puffs again a couple of days ago & he loves them. He does a great job feeding himself & an even better job of feeding Buddha. Lets just say, I've never had to clean the floor after Logan eats.

I just revamped his nutrition plan to accommodate his 9th month needs. I'm going to make his food thick & chunky. I'm adding finger foods for snacks. I'll keep up with the Puffs & I have a list of 52 other finger foods we could try. I'm really glad that Bill just went through his CPR certification last week. God forbid we ever have to use it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what my hubby is scared of the most with Kira and her finger foods - the choking. Thankfully we have a handy "What to do if your baby chokes" chart thingy on our fridge, but he's still paranoid about it. :\

I'm interested in seeing how your chunky foods turn out. It seems that no matter how chunky I seem to make Kira's, she still just swallows the chunks whole. Kinda defeats the purpose of them eh? :)

Anonymous said...

Choking is hands down one of my biggest mom fears!!! Ava got teeth early so that helps with the crackers she eats now. But it took me awhile to even let her do that. At least with the puffs, the saliva breaks them down without needing teeth.

Like your above poster I too have charts hanging in the kitchen & bathroom on what to do if your baby chokes.. hopefully we'll never have to use it!

Jezer said...

I was/am exactly the same way! I wouldn't even let Al have cheerios because I was sure he'd choke. Then one day, I put one in my mouth to test the disolution rate, and well, they dissolve almost as quickly as the puffs. I'm still leery, but he seems to chew pretty well, even with no teeth!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

The choking fear!! Yes!!! We have that huge fear too. But ya know, we were pretty amazed with how James (and it seems just babies in general) with or without teeth learn to chew/gum food. It's pretty neat. So, just know that it's pretty much a natural thing for Logan to chew. If he can handle the cereal, he can handle much more. Good luck!

liz said...

I concur with the choking fear...

..,.But you have a nutrition plan? A plan that contains 52 finger foods?

Oh sweet jeebus, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants over here. I'm buying the stage 2s that look yummy to me. And really? Anything with pears or apples are sure to be a hit with Henry. Also, sweet potatoes. And my foray into babyfood-making (mmm, avacadoes) turned in to a full blown disaster.

I'm really impressed by your nutrition plan. And your list of parenting goals. I suddenly feel inadequate! :-)

Girl, are you and your organizational skills for hire?!

Jack's Mommy said...

I am also so scared to start Jackson on finger fods - tried a couple times and he choked ... mad panic! I really need to try again since he will be 11 months next week but I am so worried!
As always Kristin I am so impressed with you -- you are a WONDER-MOM for sure!

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind, could I have a copy of your 52-list finger foods? I'm interested in checking it out & perhaps expanding on Ava's. (angiewebb1@hotmail.com) Thanks!