Thursday, October 12, 2006

Meeting Baby B
Yesterday afternoon Grandma L got into town & we went to the hospital to see Aunt Ju-Ju, Uncle J & Baby B. When we got there, they had seven other people visiting. With us, the room was full with 11. It was a little claustrophobic, but Aunt Ju-Ju didn't seem to mind.

Logan was enthralled with Baby B. He didn't know what to think about him at first, probably wondering why this little person was asleep & so small. But then he smiled. Big. He touched his arm & got more excited by the minute. It was so cute. He watched intently as Baby B got his diaper changed & looked at me with an inquisitive look whenever Baby B cried.

I didn't get a chance to hold Baby B because there were so many other people there holding him. I didn't mind though. I had my hands full with the Little Man. I was just impressed? I guess that's the word I'm looking for, that Aunt Ju-Ju didn't care that so many people were holding her baby for so long. We were there for almost two hours & she didn't hold him once. I would have gone insane.

We talked about her birth story. She said that she really didn't have one. It was pretty uneventful, other than the surgeon yelling at people a few times. They had a hard time getting Baby B out & a midwife was pushing on her stomach the wrong way. Then when he was finally out, everyone just stood there. The Doctor yelled out. "Well, are we all just going to stand here & stare at him?!" Wow. Aunt Ju-Ju is very satisfied with the events & swears that she wished she had been cut vertically so she would always have to have a c-section.

This made me think about how every Mom has a different birth story & different feelings about them. My birth story with Logan was amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would have been devastated if Logan was born the way Baby B was. But Aunt Ju-Ju is extatic about the way it went & wouldn't want to have another baby born the way Logan was. It was confirmation that what works for some doesn't work for others. It's the same way with parenting choices.

When we first got int the door, one of Aunt Ju-Ju's best friends was there. She's the one who had another baby shortly after Logan was born. She was also the one who hosted Aunt Ju-Ju's first baby shower. Her son is HUGE. Especially compared to Logan. I know she & Grandma L have been talking about Logan's "starvation" because of her conversation. "Logan is much bigger than he was before. He looks much better. He's so healthy now! You know how you were asking me at the shower why my baby was so big? It's because I nurse him all of the time. I nurse him 4 times a night still". I kind of tuned out at that point.

First, Logan is fine. He was born in the 20th percentile. No big deal. His Doctors are happy with his growth & development. Secondly, I know this was a conversation sparked by Grandma L. I would never ask another mother why her baby is so big. That's just as rude as asking why her baby is so small. But, I took it with a grain of salt. What works for her, doesn't work for me. When I was talking to Bill about this on the way home he said, "We know that Logan is fine. At least he's sleeping through the night & you don't have to get up 4 times like she does".

Just as different birthing experiences are fine with some Mothers, different parenting choices are the same. I still don't get why everyone feels like they have to put in their 2 cents on how to raise someone else's child. It's none of their business. Not all children are the same. Not all people lead the same lives. This is the part of parenthood that drives me nuts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right--everyone is different. I don't get why more people can't see and accept that.

I have two friends here at work with children born 2 weeks apart. They were the exact same size at birth. Now one is 18 lb. and one is 27 lb. Is either of them doing anything wrong? No. Is either baby unhealthy? No. Just different is all.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

My child was and is still a giant, and I got flak for it all the time about how he'll be obese, etc. You can't freaking win.

Jezer said...

Excellent point. The other day, someone asked me if Alex was sleeping through the night, and I just laughed and said, well, no, of course not (that would make life WAY too easy on Mama)! But then, this person went on to ask me what "the books" said about that and if there was anything I could do about it. I told her that I had tossed those books into the trash when Al was a month old because I was obsessing over what they said. We do what works for us, and everyone is happy and healthy. It's the same with you. Logan is OBVIOUSLY a very healthy and happy little boy.

Anonymous said...

I agree that what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. I think people are compelled to give advice not because they think you're doing something wrong but because in some weird twisted way they think they're helping. As long as a baby is healthy and growing then that's all you need.

liz said...

I haven't read a single parenting book--much the same that I ddin't read a single pregnancy book.
The Mistah and I talked long and hard about how we wanted to raise Henry--what was important to us, what we could live with, what we just didn't care that much about.
For us? Eating and sleeping were the two big issues. But we just go with it. We're raising Henry by the Book of Lizzy and Mistah.
You have to raise your children the way that you see fit. If no one's being harmed in the process, what's the BFD then? Right?
I have friends with whom I don't necessarily agree with their particular parenting philosophies, but that's just my problem. I'm sure there are people out there that disagree with my philosophies.What's important, at the end of the day, is a happy, healthy, and loved baby.
Logan is CLEARLY all of the above, and you and Bill should be so proud!

Jen said...

Hey! I just followed the link to your blog from baby center. We actually have a lot in common. I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with our second baby. I'm dealing with Hyperemisis (I did with baby #1 as well) and with never-ending in-law issues. Anyway, Logan is adorable! I've added you to my blog list! :)

Emmakirst said...

Great site, I found you via Go Normal Girl Go's site. I'm adding you to my blogroll.

I agree with you, every child is different and everyone has different views/ways on how to raise kids. I think that people should take more consideration before they say some things, like the saying, "think before you speak".