Wednesday, November 08, 2006

9th month check-up
Our health insurance fiasco is finally sorted out (for Logan anyway, I'm still waiting for my approval) so we got Logan in for his 9th month check-up.

They measured him at 28 inches (40%), 16 lbs 14 oz (5%) & his head was 17 1/4 inches (15%). They checked his ears & eyes, reflexes & his mouth. The white spot on his gums that has been there since he was about 5 months old, is just a cyst that will go away on it's own. No big deal. He checked out healthy & looking good (& cute).

It was pretty funny when the nurse was looking him over. She gave him a couple of blocks to play with. He held on to one of them, trying to put it in her mouth. Everything is a binky to this boy. I thought it was really sweet though.

His weight percentile dropped, but the nurse wasn't too concerned about it. She said that it's normal at this time for breast fed babies to kind of "plateau" on weight gain. She talked about trying to stretch his nursing times from every three hours to every four & that way he'll eat more during that time. That might be challenging just because Logan is pretty insistent on eating every three hours. Bill agreed.

We talked about his vaccinations again. We decided to go with single doses, starting with the most important & going in every few weeks or so to get the rest. I still don't think I want him to get the flu or chicken pox vaccinations. We started with Hib (Haemophilus Influenzae Type b).

Logan didn't notice that he got stuck at first, but then it dawned on him & he cried. It wasn't for long though. He calmed down & we checked out, going on with the rest of our day.

Logan was pretty tired because his appointment was right in the middle of his morning nap. Then we went & ran a few errands. We got home & I put him to bed. He slept for about an hour & woke up incredibly grumpy.

I nursed him & fed him lunch. He wouldn't eat all of it, especially the chicken & rice. He cried & cried & cried. I got him out & cuddled on the couch. He was OK for a minute, then started crying again. This off & on went on for about an hour. I gave him some Tylenol & put him back to bed.

I don't think we're going to make it to the playgroup this afternoon & I don't think I ever want to put Logan through this hell again. I'm having a really difficult time believing that a shot that makes you feel like absolute crap for a while is good for you. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vaccinations are a confusing thing. My husband and I chose not to vaccinate Ava. Yet, anyway. We're STILL undecided. There are were concerns on our part and we both felt that IF we were going to do it, that we'd wait until she was at least a year. We did both agree however on breaking the vaccinations down, rather then giving it to her all at once.

I hope Logan feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Both my children have been vaccinated for everything except Chicken Pox. The oldest had chicken pox as an infant (contracted it from a kid that HAD the vaccination) and I'd rather Nick get it than get the shot, since it seems more effective in providing immunity. I am a strong believer in vaccinations--they've eradicated disease in some cases and dramatically lowered the instance of other deadly diseases. No offense to anyone, but I truly feel that those children who are not vaccinated are just riding the coattails of those that are, depending on the absence of disease to keep them from getting sick. I do, however, agree that the timing of the shots is horrible. No child deserves to be stuck 5 times at one appointment!

liz said...

We've decided to have Henry immunized for everything we received when we were children.
However, since Kris had such a hard time with asthma and bronchitis -- especially as a child, and because he's a teacher and exposed to/bringing home so many germs, we've chosen to have Henry get the flu shot.
We didn't notice any changes in behavior with the first two sets of immunizations, but this last batch--at his 6-month appointment--he cried just a bit (3 quick shots) and was a bit cranky and lethargic that day. We gave him Motrin and he slept a solid 13 hours, was just fine the next day.
We've found that holding him calmly and treating him normally has really helped Henry get through his shots. He can totally sense when we're nervous or uncomfortable and he reacts to us more than anything. We make sure to chit-chat and laugh and be as normal as possible while he receives his shots.
I hope Logan bounces back quickly and you feel better about it, too!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

I can only speak from experience with James when it comes to his shots. As scared as I WAS with him getting shots, deep down I knew that he could handle it and if I wasn't traumatized as a kid with it all, then he should be fine. And he's been wonderful with all of his shots. Again, we're very very...very lucky so far. He had the flu shot Monday and so far the only reaction is some nasty diarrhea. I think (maybe) the reactions of some of these shots that babies have to get comes from two things- yeah, it's a little too early and also, if in the family line there are no issues with being vaccinated then go for it. There's also kind of a good side to getting these done when they're babies- they don't remember when they're older plus you get it all out of the way. Because of my experiences, I have to side with getting the shots. There's just seems to be too much risk to NOT get vaccinated especially in this unhealthy world we live in. Okay, enough of that...lol
I hope that Logan feels better soon too. He's a healthy little guy so he should be fine. ;)

Anonymous said...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.. but I don't think we're riding anyones coattails because we chose to wait.

Erin said...

Hope Logan feels better soon!

We've been really lucky so far with vaccinations. We've gotten every recommended vaccine for our son and he's never had so much as a sore spot on his leg. And, yes, he DID get stuck 5 times in one visit. It sucked for about 10 minutes and that was that. No big deal. But like I said, we've been lucky so far.

He's getting the flu shot this year too (got one already and will go for #2 in another 3 weeks). I think it's way better to have the shots than risk getting seriously ill. But I've worked with seriously sick kids in the past and think you have the weigh the risks.

Jack's Mommy said...

The immunization that I am very concerned about is the MMR since I have heard all kinds of things about it contributing to Autism... My husband's uncle who is a doctor said we should wait on that one until Jackson is 2 years old. I am not sure about the Cicken Pox one either since it's so new.