Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm not voting today
This is the first year that I won't vote. I'm usually proud to vote, especially as a woman. Many women before me made it possible for me to put in my two cents. When I turned 18, I was excited to be a part of the election process. The novelty has worn off.

I'm not voting this year because I don't like any of the candidates. It's like I'm voting for dumb or dumber. We've been bombarded by negative add campaigns that just make me roll my eyes. There are very important issues that I feel need to be addressed; stem cell research, immigration, abortion laws, taxes, support of our libraries...the list goes on. Both parties are too busy bashing each other to really be proactive about anything. I don't feel like anyone has our State or our county in their best interest. I feel like it's all about money & power to them. That's the impression I get from their campaigns anyway.

What's happened in our government since the last couple of elections has totally turned me off. I voted. Who's in office now, I didn't vote for & I don't think highly of them. We're often told that "every vote counts". I don't feel that way. At least not any more. This is the year that I've become jaded.

Hopefully by the next election we'll have people worthwhile running for office. People who will get to the issues rather than each others throats.

4 comments:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

I feel the SAME EXACT WAY as you do!!! People keep asking me why my husband and I aren't voting and we tell them the same thing as what you said basically ..we would have to pick the lesser of two evils (ie- both are assholes..pardon my french). Thanks for posting this!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I voted.

In several cases I did simply choose the lesser of two evils. But I figure even that's better than letting someone else choose for me, which is what I would be doing if I didn't vote at all. At least now my voice has been heard.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, the negative ad campaigns are out of control!! Kudos to you for posting this, it will be interesting how people respond.

I've been really thinking of making my own baby food lately, and I think of you each time the thought crosses my mind :)

liz said...

I think that--and certainly in some states more than others--the choices are the lesser of two evils.
But it's possible to vote while still supporting issues that are important to you.
You don't have to vote for particular candidates if you're not comfortable. But you can vote on referrendums on issues that are important to you.

But since it's the day after. I would like to put a great big YAY out there for gaining 27 seats in House and for a woman as Speaker of the House.

I agree that campaigning these days is less about the issues and the credentials of candidates and more of a smear campaign against competitors. I don't go for this--it makes me just as sick. Unfortunately, I think that a sad portion of the population base their voting decisions on the He Said, She Said of these campaigns--it's far easier to gather "facts" in bite size portions of TV ads than it is to actually spend time researching or being active or aware of politics.

Ooh, I hope that didn't sound bitchy. I think it might have.